EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Yes, but it depends on which actor is saying it. For instance, if Barbara Windsor was saying "ain't," I'd tend to believe it, because she always had a bit of rough to her. I don't with Jenna Russell. It takes a lot of work and time to make this believable - Pam St. Clement was posh but always managed to make Pat's rougher edge feel real - and I don't think Eastenders has that type of time anymore. 

I'll admit if I wasn't so bitter about what the show has done to one of my favorite characters I'd care less than I do.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Funny how people see things differently. I didn't see the first actress so it doesn't bother me so much but I think it's worth perservering with Michelle because of her place in the show. I don't find her remarkably different to the other actress from what I've seen. I'm now watching the stuff from Thursday and not quite through it yet so I'll refrain from commenting as yet!

• Members

I'm glad you are enjoying her. There's nothing in Thursday that would change your opinion - she doesn't really do much.

Michelle and the '80s version of Kathy meant a lot to me and represent most of what I loved about Eastenders, so this year has...not been an experience I have enjoyed. But at least the Preston story is over and the Willmott-Brown fiasco will be over soon and if America has not been nuked I can look forward to new material in 2018. 

I just wish I could shake the feeling that Luke is going to rape Ben.

• Members

I liked the Preston story but I think the idea of it was better than the execution. I think it could have been more nuanced than it was, but I think giving that story to such a big former character, and one who had been re-cast to boot, was a bit of a step in the wrong direction. I don't think people were ready for that. I found it believable from what I know about Michelle. I watched Grant and Sharon's wedding recently and I was surprised by how similar I felt the Michelles are. And I felt the same from the small amount of other stuff I've seen. Having said that, a few episodes doesn't compare to experiencing the character for her entire 10+ year tenure.

I also feel like the Willmott-Brown stuff is the first time Kathy's felt alive for a while. I'm not sure if it's because the actress has had some cosmetic work but the acting has felt a little off a lot of the time since she's been back.

I really hope not with Luke/Ben. I can't wait for the show to move on from this stuff though because so little makes any sense. I just hope there are some characters left who I actually want to watch after they've axed most of the ones I like.

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Members

Gillian's acting has improved and the character feels more present, but it's just so degrading to see her have to talk about her rape when she didn't want to, have to encourage her son to see her rapist's son, her talking about how she's always been afraid and it's always stayed with her - I feel like it's made her into a victim above all else. I'm not really thrilled with the rewrites making Willmott-Brown some sort of all-powerful Gavin figure either.

Here's the Children in Need for this year. The last song seems fitting for the EE struggles of the past year...

• Members

I think John Yorke once said that Michelle was his favourite character, but he also said he'd never bring that character back if Sue Tully was never going to return. I wonder what he'll do with her and if he'll try to remedy some things with the character during his interim phase. 

Edited by BetterForgotten