EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Surely John Yorke wouldn't allow that after the disaster the show became after he left when Berridge couldn't adapt to the 4 day a week format and production staff was limited.

But could they learn from past mistakes?

2001 was such a hallmark year for the show. The best year ever in the modern era IMO. I can't believe it's 2011 and we're a decade from that.

I remember the press when the first fourth episode clashed directly with Corrie and EastEnders won. That added with the Kat/Zoe reveal that year, Who Shot Phil?, Sharon's return, and other things. That was such a peak year for the show, I loved that time.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think that 5 nights could work under the right circumstances. The last few weeks of 5 episodes to 6 episodes have added some real momentum to the stories. The question is beyond the production issues, are the characters and actors strong enough? I don't know. But this is the strongest cast the show has had in years and years - I'd say this is their strongest female cast ever - and at least 5 episodes might give more focus to characters who are being left behind, like the Masoods.

• Members

I have to say, even though it's a controversial subject, this baby switch story has been written with a lot of emotion and has been delivering great performances from Jessie Wallace, Samantha Womack, and even Shane Richie.

The guilt is eating away at Ronnie. She's so afraid of getting busted, but she clearly knows she's done the wrong thing. Kat looks so devastated, she hasn't changed her clothes or put on any of her signature pancake makeup. Charlie is also blaming himself.

I've really enjoyed Billy and Julie as support for Alfie over these past couple of episodes. Billy and Julie are good together, and with more development, they should get better.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by that scene with Kat, Morgan, and Tiffany by the swings today. How they tried to comfort her in their own way and then walked her back to the Vic. It's not often that I can stand Morgan or Tiffany, but that scene was a nice little moment that you don't normally expect.

Can Christian and Syed just die?

I'm sure Carl will love the snark between Max and Tanya in today's episode. :lol:

• Members

The BBC's response to the baby swap

We appreciate this is a particularly emotive storyline and as with all such sensitive subject matters, we approached it with great care and attention, seeking guidance and advice from a number of experts in this field in order to ensure as realistic a portrayal as possible.

EastEnders has a long history of exploring difficult issues, and the storyline regarding Ronnie and Kat follows in this tradition.

We acknowledge that for some members of the audience this storyline will have particular resonance and significance, however we can assure viewers that it's not our intention to cause distress or upset, and we have ensured that key episodes are supported by the BBC Action Line in order for those affected by the storyline to be able to obtain information regarding sources of further help and advice.

It's important to note there is absolutely no inference that Ronnie's actions are in any way typical of a bereaved mother of a newborn baby. In her grief and desperation at the discovery that her much longed for baby has passed away, and finding herself in the exceptional circumstance of being alone with her neighbour's newborn son, Ronnie acted on impulse in the heat of the moment, without really knowing what she was doing, or considering the consequences or repercussions. On a wider sense, we were careful to select Ronnie, who we felt was the only character capable of acting in this way in a believable manner, following all the difficulties she's experienced in her life and the emotional toll this has put on her.

Over the coming weeks, we will see Ronnie and Kat each coming to terms with the loss of their babies, and explore how they re-build their lives in the wake of such tragedy. Viewers will see the situation resolve itself over the coming months.

We were careful to signal the nature of the content of the episodes to the audience in advance through publicity, programme billings, and continuity announcements.

• Members

Alfie's and Spencer's parents were killed when Alfie was in his twenties, I think; there was one of those soapy monologues about how he'd never gotten around to fixing the tape deck in his father's car and that there were cassette tapes strewn around when his parents were found, meaning that if Alfie had repaired the deck, they might have lived. Alfie then became father to Spencer, in many ways.

Spencer was a very hated character in many quarters, and the constant attention took a toll on Chris Parker, who played him. He abruptly left in late 2004.

I have to admit that I liked Spencer. Not in large doses, but I thought he was a good match to Alfie and some of his scenes with Kelly and even Vicki (outside of the lazy abortion storyline) weren't bad.

Edited by CarlD2