ABC: Anyone else sick of the MVP promos?

• Members

Well it deals with sports less than its inspiration Footballer's Wives even did. It's just an excuse to have them Dynasty type rich. But we didn't get a classic bitch goddess character emerging like Footballer's had in the divine Tanya Turner.

I wonder if ABC's interest in this has to do with their plans to do a US Football Wives? " ABC ordered a pilot for an American version, named Football Wives. Lucy Lawless, Gabrielle Union, Eddie Cibrian, Kiele Sanchez, and James Van Der Beek were confirmed as part of the cast but ABC cancelled the show due to "potential conflicts with the National Football League.""

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^Footballers Wives was years ago, its a dead horse now IMHO. But it was a great pilot. It doesnt shock me abc pulled it - anyone ever watch Playmakers on espn? the nfl had them pull it.

the mvp promo's or promotion doesnt bother me.

i have seen many billboards for soapnet. for when days came, when yr came, for the daytime in primetime, for specials, for fashionstas, for just about everything.

i dont think mvp is getting much more promotion than other soaps

• Members

Thats normal tho. I know that like, say for example, The-N airs Degrassi, South of Nowhere, Best Years, Instant Star, etc they always say a The-N Original.. and its not. Other networks do the same when airing a show from Canada. idk why but they do.

They are prob doing it to get poeple to watch it to make more money.

• Members

There's sitll amentality in the US that shows not set in the US won't interest audiences (unless being set somewhere else is the very point of the show). At least the Canadian shows now set themselves in Canada--for a long time they'd be vague or pretend they were set in America (the 90s Canadian teen sitcom Studentt Bodies comes ot mind)

I've never heard of Best Years and South of Nowehre. Are they Canadian?

• Members

South Of Nowhere might actually be a The-N Original, idk. Its about this girl Spencer whos family moves from a smalltown to L.A. and she meet this girl Ashley and they fall in love, but they both also have a thing for this guy named Aiden.

The best Years i am 90% sure if from canada.

• Members

Yeah, Peter Miller, he's the one the guy from TVGuide Canada keeps playing up. he was by far the most interesting character of the guys on MVP I thought. Mambo Italiano is cute though REALLY slight--i saw the original french play in Montreal twice and liked it much more... I think Peter Miller is in a french CBC drama too or was. I guess this iwll finally give him US exposure--he is pretty ridiculously hot.

BTW the lead guy in Mambo Italiano, ie his dorkier bf, Luke Kirby is like naked all the time as one of the (straight) couples in HBO's very sexually graphic serial Tell Me You Love Me.

E

• Members

I don't think that billboard is so hard to fathom. Is there any guy on ABC soaps who could withstand such giant sized scrutiny? Greg Vaughan has the face but he is far from model-fit. Perhaps Colin Egglesfield who plays Erica's son could do it given some advance notice to lay off the carbs. David Fumero could have done it once upon a time but like GV he is no longer at that 5% bodyfat level needed for such a billboard.

Colin Egglesfield, he is the only one I think at ABC who has the face and could get his body into shape to handle that ad. David Fumero too but he may be too old by now to carry off such an ad, and the rest need not apply. JPL has the body but not the face.

• Members

JackP you're right The best Years is Canadian, it was by one of the people behind Degrassi and there was som econtroversy here because they set it in the US (Boston?) - funny after i just wrote Canadian shows rarely did that anymore. I thought it died after one season though..

Archived