Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Rena Sofer once said that on Loving she was just "Trucker's sister," but she actually had some fun stuff to do.

The original music had to be changed, but it's still fun. I have to laugh at how every fantasy she has involves Todd and Curtis in equal measure, and now complete with thrusting motions. I still wonder if they were going to try a threeway story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUFl5VZAiuU

• Members

The above clip must have been around the time he guested on Emerald Point. When I saw him in EP, I knew I knew who that guy was but being so tan and trim he was almost unrecognizable. It was the voice that clued me in.

• Members

Thanks for posting this, saynotoursoap. Thank you Carl for alerting us to this.

I found myself laughing throughout the episode (Ned's flashback / the ridiculous marriage ceremony / Ned & Kristen) when I shouldn't have been laughing. When I read about this period, it sounded awful and it doesn't play out better in an episode. I don't remember what else was featured in the other episode from this period (it may have been a day before) but this Alan / April / Ned / Kristen stuff is really bad.

The sets are nice. I also liked the use of music in this episode. I wonder if music rights kept "Loving" from SoapNet. I remember there were a couple songs in the episode featuring Lottie in the storm and Tony the medico turned priest.

It was nice to finally see Teri Polo in her "Loving" role.

The ads in the other video were neat. I really liked the glimpse of Curtis / Lily .

• Members

So that's who Chris was? I had no idea. Teri Polo. Too bad she didn't stay around - I liked her. She made the most impression on me of those in the story. Luke Perry just seemed a little dull, and Alexandra Wilson was just as bad as she was on AW. The character also seemed to be brain dead. I had some interest in Marty, based on synopses (I think she was an alcoholic and in love with Jim), but the actress didn't work for me here.

Do you know if this guy played Alan for the rest of his tenure or was this just for the day? He did a good job stepping in.

The Jim/Shana stuff didn't bowl me over, although the actors had a nice chemistry and that kitchen set was beautifully detailed.

I think the other stuff from around this time was the Jack/Lily/Stacey story, but I can't remember.

• Members

From the synopses I've read, Kristen Larsen (Teri Polo's character) was suppose to be a threat to April / Ned. I think Ned and Kristen might have slept together, which is what I assume Kristen was alluding to when she said, "I haven't seen you since..." This whole storyline is just so weird because the characters aren't connected to the rest of the canvas. Ned works at the shop and is Lottie's brother, but these characters are in their own little world.

This is the third episode saynotoursoap has posted from this period (fall 1987). The Alden stuff is stronger, but still I'm not overly engaged in the story.

Back to the Curtis clips, Curtis was constantly being de-aged. I believe he spent most of the series in his early to mid 20s until Christopher Marcantel returned. I believe Curtis should have been kept in the Ava / Jack / Stacey / Lily orbit a bit longer. The introduction of Rick undermined Curtis in a lot of ways.

In the Billie Jean clip, do we know who Rena Sofer is talking to before the flashback? I was thinking it might have been Jessica Steen, who played Trisha during Noelle Beck's maternity leave, but I feel like that would have been when it was Curtis / Rocky / Rio.

I've never seen Peter Crombie listed as Alan so I don't know, but I don't think this storyline lasts much longer. I believe most of this crew is jettisoned by sweeps. I believe Ned goes to Germany around Thanksgiving.

• Members

I think that Rick/Curtis could have worked in story together, since Rick was the abandoned son, and Curtis was the loved son, which we kind of see here, but it seems like the show struggled to write for either of them.

Do you know if Albers lasted past the clips that were uploaded? Or was that it?