ATWT: Chris Goutman Interview in SOD - Boy he doesn't care about the fans.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And THAT, my friends, tells you exactly where P&G, the once legendary owners of daytime, now stand on their soap opera division.

They care so much, they didn't even bother to replace Mickey Dwyer-Dobbin when she retired.

THEY. DO. NOT. CARE.

• Members

Thing is, the more I think about this, I can't fault him for his opinions. He has a right to them.

HOWEVER...

When you're an EP who has been REPEATEDLY bashed in the press for months now over two very high-profile firings AND the Nuke stuff, WHY WHY WHY would you say something to a reporter that would put ANOTHER target on your back by the fans. I'm all for being honest, but it's not like Goutman's the kind of EP who opens up to the fans on a regular basis - so why say anything at all NOW, when you need all the good PR you can get?!

It just doesn't make any sense. Just a dumb move.

• Members

CBS does too - he just doesnt listen.

He said he doesnt even read the mail report. wtf is that? for thoise that may be unsure the mail report (at least at the soaps i know of this is how it works) is a report the interns make. they read the letters adressed to the network and fill out a report summing it all up and turn it in. (and they have the same for the net)

if he isnt even reading that then... wow.

• Members

The whole article ticked me off.

And for him to say Scott Bryce was the problem with the Quad of Doom and THAT'S why he got fired? B/C Chris didn't like the set up of the story?

Please. That's the WRITERS fault, NOT Scott Bryce's.

The fact is, Scott Bryce's Craig was the ONLY redeeming aspect of that quad. And that was the problem. We weren't supposed to root for Craig. We were supposed to root for poor, victimized Paul and Meg to overcome the OMG!EVUL! Craig and Rosanna (which, of course was lather/rinse/repeat of poor, victimized Paul and Meg having to overcome OMG!EVUL! Craig and Emily in 2006 - and I was rooting for Craig and Emily then too LOL!).

Only Scott Bryce made Craig rootworthy, despite all the crap they had Craig pull.

• Members

Kel, I don't think Goutman said anything about Scott being the "problem" with the story. He said the problem was the story and the set up. That, to me, means he's laying it at JP's feet. What he should have done, is have JP "fix" it, instead of firing Jeff Meek. Instead, what he did was fire Meek, hire Bryce, and entice McClain back. Putting lipstick on the pig didn't work, so he fired Bryce, and wrapped up the story early.

His biggest mistake continues to be standing by JP, as the stories continue to suck. What's funny is that there has to be a cheaper writer out there, somewhere. He's gone bargain basement on everything else....

• Members

ATWT doesn't move characters around any more. Characters have specific roles related to established couples as prescribed by TPTB and their demanding fanbases and they aren't allowed to do anything else. Look at Jade, she was Lily's niece, but all she was allowed to do is be an obstacle for Gwen and Will. Next we have Craig whose sole purpose was to be an obstacle for Meg and Pual. Craig is now replaced with NuMike who would probably be better used in the Carly/Jack story, but instead he is stuck in the Paul/Meg hell along with the terrible Sophie who has no other purpose. Once a character isn't working that specific story, TPTB are more likely rid of them than to rework the story and character's role, especially if the actors are considered expensive.

Archived