ATWT: Chris Goutman Interview in SOD - Boy he doesn't care about the fans.

• Members

http://forums.vanhansis.net/index.php?showtopic=9503

(This is not the whole interview just part of it)

Digest: What effect does a fan campaign or letters have on how you tell a story?

Goutman: I think the number of fans who write letters and who are online are a very, very, very, very---may I repeat, very---small percentage of the actual fan base. What I go on more than anything else is instinct and what I see on the air. I would hope that my instincts match our constituency. And I think, by and large, it has.

Digest: Do you ever look at message boards?

Goutman: I never go online.

Digest: Do you get a mail report about what people are saying?

Goutman: Vaguely, but I really don't look at it.

Digest: So would you recommend that people not bother sending things?

Goutman: Yes, I do.

Digest: It's not going to make a difference?

Goutman: Not to me.

*He also mentions that money (or lack of it) is the reason why you rarely see stories intersect anymore and addresses the exits of Martha Byrne, Scott Bryce and Grayson McCouch.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow he seems to be riding out his time with the show. I am sure that it will come a time where he will get axed...I want him as EP of AMC since he has a history there and won the show its first Directing Team Emmy.

He has been at ATWT for too long. Time for new vision

• Members

Good f'ing lord. I never have been a big Goutman fan, but as of late, he has really lost his mind!

Lies!

:o

:o His ego...is...smothering...me.

So, basically, Mr. Goutman says that the show will never flounder because he just inherently knows what's good. No bother listening to fans...they don't have the same brillaint eye for what makes good daytime drama like he does.

I'm so glad Martha Byrne told him to go shove it up his @$$.

Needless to say, I think it's time for Goutman to go. And that other pretentious hackjob from the other floundering P&G show can follow him to the unemployment office, as well.

Susan Lucci will leave the show in a contract dispute, some hasbeen from Loving will become the new Erica Kane, Jean Passanante will return as HW, and Michael E. Knight will get a nice cheery phonecall during Christmas dinner informing him he's been fired!

• Members

No, I think he got along with everyone at AMC (although apparently his controlfreak nature rubbed ABC the wrong way and he left on bad terms) - but the past doesn't seem to matter anymore. He and Martha Byrne were B.F.F. at one point, and look how he threw her under the bus.

He really seems to have changed. Remember when he won his first Emmy for ATWT and he went on at great length about the importance of the fans? Yeah - look at his attitude now. He used to pride himself on having open and close relationships with his actors, and he's now at the point where he's calling veteran actors over the phone during the Holidays to tell them they're fired? How about how he can't seem to keep any writers unless their initials are J.P. or L.L.? I don't know what's gotten into him - but he needs to leave daytime for good.

I'm going to continue to bitch about Goutman, loudly, knowing I won't ever hurt his feelings because, folks... he. never. goes. online. :lol:

• Administrator

Yup! And people in the industry noticed his change. He's not the same guy from the late 90's/early 2000's anymore. It's really sad to see how much he's changed. Damn, I miss the old Chris Goutman. :(

• Members

It could be that Goutman is burnout as it seems to be the cool thing in soaps right now.

I think that the problem with Chris is that he doesn't want to fight with the higher ups anymore since he knows that sooner than later that the P&G shows will be cancelled and he just want to stay there for the ride. Also, why would P&G want to fired Chris when they only renewing their soaps for only one year or a couple of years when they already got some there who knows how to run a soap? P&G doesn't want to spend the time looking for a new EP or HW under those circumstances.

Traditionally, most EPs and HWs will always say that they never go online or read fan mail because of the bad stigma that internet boards have, and with the fast pace of producing a soap, many people in charge don't have a lot of time to go online to read or listen to what the fans want from their soap. Of course, that doesn't give TPIC the excuse of making stupid business decisions that will hurt the show in the short or long run.

If there's one thing I agree with Goutman is that, the internet fan base is a small percent of the household tv viewers; but, the thing that internet fans can do that fan campaigns and fan mail can't do is provide real time word of mouth for those shows for free.

What do y’all think? The daytime industry doesn’t want the die hard internet fans who watch soaps for 10, 20, or 30+ year. They want viewers who are watching their soap(s) for the very first time. They’ll always have us internet fans, why do they have to make us happy?

• Members

I am tired of people trying to make it seem like online viewers are "a very, very, very, very---may I repeat, very---small percentage of the actual fan base". Don't freakin try to make our opinions not matter because we're more vocal than some off the offliners.

If we were such "a very, very, very, very---may I repeat, very---small percentage of the actual fan base" then you wouldn't have the millions of fans who post on message boards about a show YOU'RE destroying EVERY WEEK. Now if you want to say they're "a very, very, very, very---may I repeat, very---small percentage" of the viewing audience that's counted in the Nielsen's, then maybe I'd agree with you. But your fan base is your fan base, and it's large you pompous ass.

• Members

I do agree, however i do aldo think that a lot of people assume on line fans fairly represent what all soap fans feel and *i* personally have found that not so true.

then again, it also depends on how many message boards you go to. if you go to one or two message boards that is a very limited view point of the online fans.

i do think the online voice should be heard - but i honestly dont think it is for whatever stupid reason. i do also know that a lot od mail that goes to the studio is *much* diff than what online fans, and yes i know this from personal experiance as well some personal expreiance of friends of mine.

its like Tom C said. a had written letter will go further than 10,000 (or however much) box's of mac & cheese.

IMHO, the fact that CG doesnt read the mail report is a much bigger issue than not going online.

Archived