Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Both Robin Strand (Keith #2) and John Novak (Keith #3) are such weird recasts because somehow they cast two men who both seemed younger and less intelligent than the original.  SB was uniquely bad at recasting (with the possible exception of Gina).  Producers seemed to grab whomever was available, rather than trying to retain the qualities of the character.  And, far too often, the actor's charisma outweighed the writing, so characters like Warren, Kelly, and Santana totally morphed their personalities depending upon who was portraying them .

They could never recapture the magic of a character that is both malicious toward the show's heroine and lovable at the same time.  Novak was handsome and capable, but perhaps if they had just made him the new DA, rather than saddling him with the name Keith, he could have been more successful.

Edited by j swift

• Members

SB was also FABULOUS at recasts. Judith McConnell and Jed Allan were pretty good.

Please register in order to view this content

I agree about giving the dude a different name though. I don’t hate the actor, he just isn't working as Keith.

I also feel that the Minx story should have changed. Instead of Janis Paige playing Minx who had a midlife baby, what if Minx had a baby before she met Tiger. And JP was Lionel's older half-sister. Minx died off screen and Lionel and Augusta find out about the baby from the Will. It's just too insane to me that Minx could keep tabs on Brick,but not her own daughter. 

Edited by Marissa Gallant
Spelling

• Members

I never got the feeling that the Dobsons cared about practicalities like consistency, history, common sense, etc. They just wrote whatever came into their minds in a given day. That's why so much of their second return is brilliant and ridiculous in equal measure. I wonder if they had a different exec producer if their second stint would have been more successful--one who would have stopped them from some of their more ridiculous moments (Augusta's fantasies about rapist Dash for ex.). 

• Members

OK, but for every Judith McConnell, Jed Allen, and Terry Lester, we also got what I will refer to as the "curse of #2s", that list would include Warren #2 - Scott Jenkins, Santana #2 - Margaret Michaels, Keith #2 - Robin Strand, Flame #2 - Marguerite Hickey, Kelly #2 - Kimberly McArthur, and of course CC #2 - Paul Burke.

So, I would beg to differ on the term FABULOUS (all in good humor, I trust).

• Members

I feel like character exits were handled in much the same way. Unless something really definitive happened, like they were killed or went to jail, half the times I feel like we just...simply never saw them again with no actual explanation, and then eventually we'd see the character had been removed from the end credits. Sometimes down the road Soap Opera Digest would give the generic explanation the character "left town"...but we'd never actually be told that onscreen.

(And I definitely agree with you on Who Killed Madeline. There was that scene of Sheila telling David "Well, if *I* didn't kill her...and YOU didn't kill her..." and Julia snapping, "WHO DID?!?"...and I think something about Cruz saying they didn't have enough to hold them...and then nothing until about three months later Courtney suddenly starts having nightmares about blood on her hands from out of the clear blue sky.)

Edited by Ryan Mason

• Members

Given that Cruz's friends Pearl Bradford, Cain Garver, and Nick Hartley, as well as his brother Ric, (and all of his kids) just "disappeared" from Santa Barbara without a trace it might have been fun if his exit story was going on the run for fear of finally being caught as a serial killer.

Unless it was Kelly all along (which would explain her long history of boyfriends either dying or exiting without a trace)...

Edited by j swift