B&B: Interview with SF

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a pretty insightful interview. Then again, I do love Susan Flannery. She really is the Queen of Daytime, IMO. NB's right, if she goes, the industry won't be the same. Honestly, I don'y know what B&B will do. They haven't really made strides to bring B&B into the future or set up "tent-pole character" for that future. Yet.

LOL at bitch, bitch, slap, slap! :lol:

• Members

god what a boring interview!

you'd think he'd come up with something more exciting, considering that la flannery has announced her retirement. but nope! it's the same ol' fan worshipping to the bells.

interview had zero originality. no depth in the interview. just fan worship for the bells and brad bell, a writer who has yet to integrate characters of color on b&b. where were the "tough, journalist" questions? none of the hard questions were asked. for ex. why was stephanie's shooting drummed up to replace further delving into brooke's rape? why has the show virtually dropped something as "great" as stephanie's childhood abuse? why has the show not delved into stephanie's continued abuse of brooke despite stephanie knowing she was abused? where are all the people of color in b&b's la la land?

• Members

This isn't an interview with Brad Bell. I don't think it would be appropriate to ambush her with combative questions pertaining to things she has absolutely no control over. I'd love to know why B&B is the whitest, straightest soap on daytime but it wouldn't be the top of my list of questions to ask Susan Flannery.

I do think we'll be getting more interviews like this now that she's decided she's definitely retiring and perhaps she'll touch on more political stuff of her own accord. My only wish is that SF wasn't so "writers write" oriented. I know she was spoiled in her formative soap years with Bill Bell but she's too bright a woman not to sniff out garbage. I'd also love to know the original plans for the rape story because it seems as though it was altered somewhat.

"Bitch, bitch, slap, slap!" :lol: I love that she doesn't take herself too seriously and knows how people watch the show. Same goes for bemoaning the lack of camp since Darlene Conley's passing.

• Members

I could not agree more.

I dont know about. I am sure we will get some interviews, prob more than she has done .. ever.. but i would be shocked if she much. She likes NB and called him (i think thats what i read), so i think thats the only way we will get a sit down interview.

I disagree. I think the actors should just let writers write. I hate it when soaps do what the actors want. They need to shut up and act more. Unless it is something major and they have a serious issue with it, like SF with the rape, i see no need to speak up. Now dont get me wrong, i love it when stars speakout besucae of the drama and things we learn, but IMHO, they shouldnt speak out unless it is needed (another great example is EZ re Dena)

That made me LMAO!

I love this woman. She is such an all around class act. Her leaving daytime will be felt.

• Members

clearly la flannery has power and influence on b&b. the fact that she complained to brad that steffers would be directly responsible for brooke's rape made him alter the storylines. and la flannery directs the show and is a mentor to the younger set.

SO, her opinions on 1. stephanie's abuse of brooke 2. stephanie not delving into her childhood abuse 3. brooke not deliving into her rape and MOST importantly 4. the lack of racial representation on B&B would be enlightening since she is a core cast member.

To ignore these important questions and put filler like "oh i worship you, the bells, blah" is typically lame of branco.

And for branco to claim that La flannery likes him thus she's giving him an interview is HILARIOUS!

how many times has soap opera weekly and sod interviewed her. michael logan interviewed her numerous times. logan was able to interview la flannery about bridget/ridge pairing! the italian media interviewed her during the lake como shoot. heck even mr.smartypants, a b&b website owner and not a "journalist" like branco, interviewed her and kkl! it's on youtube!

typical of branco to pretend to "score" a big interview when a non-journalist like mr.smartypants has a video interview of 2 of b&b's MAIN divas in youtube!

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I love that! I really do because I felt the same way about La Vie En Rose.

I enjoyed reading the interview and it's so weird to actually read an interview that she's leaving. It's not a dream- it's true. :(

• Members

bakedghoti, if you want a different take on the lack of black representation in Daytime (for example), NB has posted a recent interview he had with James Reynolds (Abe, Days) on this very issue. I imagine you might find it lacking but I thought a lot of the questions -- and, more importantly the answers -- were interesting and thought-provoking.

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/State+of+t...s_NB.htm?isfa=1

In fact, it sort of made go into "If only I were an EP of a soap" mode. :lol:

Re: SF and this interview, IMO Susan Flannery is a joy to read whoever is giving the interview. I don't know whether she'd be able to act as a proxy for Brad Bell's decisions, regardless of the respect and high regard she wields on set. And I honestly don't see how Brad Bell would ever answer those questions directly himself. I guarantee that 80% of all your questions raised, bakedghoti, would be met with a "This is a half-hour show. I would love to include more stuff about Stephanie's childhood abuse/more people of color, but we just don't have time or space." The standard B&B answer to almost every query. <_<

Regarding Brooke's rape, I think SF said it all. She didn't think the audience would ever forgive Stephanie for going that far. Hence a climbdown (and, implicitly, the hastily put-together Who Shot Stephanie plot) to soften it.

• Members

La Flannery is wonderful with interviews...!

SO SO SO SO sad that she will be leaving! My God I hope she changes her mind and that Bell makes her more of a human and less of a cartoon. If there is one reason the character is not a complete joke it's because Flannery has been saving it with her incredible talent.

• Members

Does it get any better than Susan Flannery? Didn't think so.

I think retirement has been in her mind for years now...and if that's what she wants, so be it. I would prefer that she stay and become the Jeanne Cooper of B&B (not that she isn't already) but when I think of B&B I think of Stephanie just like I think of Katherine when I think of Y&R.

Stephanie is most definitely a tent pole character, she is SO necessary...if I were Brad Bell I'd get on my hands and knees, offer Susan Flannery the same money she gets now to only do 30 episodes a year. That way she can be there for sweeps, when she really counts and yet enjoy the benefits of retirement. The only other alternative is to place Brooke in the Stephanie role and cast someone new to be in the Brooke role. That relationship is VERY necessary as well but it doesn't necessarily have to consist of Stephanie vs Brooke. It needs to be Alpha Female vs Alpha Female.

• Members

Great interview with Susan! I love all of Nelson's interviews and the actors he picks. Sad to hear Susan is leaving, but I do like that she at least had them change Stephanie being directly responsible for Brooke's rape. That would've been too much. Also loved the Katherine Kelly Lang love.

Archived