SOW: Bloodbath at GL

• Members

The cuts continue at Guiding Light - this time four writers are out. Penelope Koechl, Royal Miller, David Smilow and Brett Staneart have all been let go, according to show sources.

"Their work will be absorbed by the rest of the team," says an insider. GL is up for renewal this summer, so the last-minute belt-tightening to ensure that it's picked up. When asked the backstage slashings, a show rep responded, " We don't comment on contracts."

Kim Zimmer (Reva) is doing her best behind the scenes to jazz up her scripts and storyline, which, as viewers know, has been somewhat lacking in direction. "I've managed to find a creative way for me to deal with those problems through my approach to the character now," Zimmer explains, acknowledging that she's a little restless. "And it's not subtle, so I'm sure you all will pick it up."

In the meantime, GL might want to borrow one of those fifth-graders from that new FOX show show- on the March 29 episode, Rick said "irregardless' to Beth, which of course is not a word.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always thought that some hourlong shows had way too many writers on staff. It's like, "WTF do all of these people do?" It seems like there are like 20 people in some of the writing staff credits.

With a stronger head-writer, I wouldn't mind GL having a smaller writing staff.

As for Zimmer, if she's so restless, why the hell won't she just LEAVE already?! It's not like Reva adds that much to the show.

• Members

Reva's a big part of GL and its history. I'm no KZ fan but I recognize this.

However, with MADD no longer running things on behalf of P&G, La Zimmer cannot make the same demands she used to get away with. No pay cut, Kim? No problem! We'll just fire most of the Bauers and stick Marj Dusay, Beth Chamberlain and Maureen Garrett on recurring!

GL is badly hurting for cash and MADD isn't there anymore to acquiesce to the "star" of the show. KZ may have been on a lot last year, but she can thank Tom Pelphrey for coasting on his frontburner status. I'm not sure Ellen Wheeler is so willing to ask "How high?" whenever Kim orders her to jump. JMO.

And, really, what on earth can you write for a character who has cheated violent death countless times, been cloned, turned Amish, turned psychic and then un-psychic and outwitted cancer? AND make it fresh and interesting and a "new direction" for the character? That's dificult for a GOOD writer, let alone a moderately average one like Kreizman.

• Members

Well, I've always underlined that fact. Thank God I'm not alone. Douglas Marland had 5 subwriters, of which 2 were BDWs, others were SWs, and I think he wrote a portion of daily scripts himself. Aetas aurea.

• Members

Well, someone could start and make her a real person. And not any sort of mockery or whatsoever. I actually have quite a strong dislike for the character and her being in the spotlight as one of the most important GL characters, but what can you do...

Anyway, wasn't she created by Pam K. Long, who also introduced Alexandra Spaulding and Harley Davidson Cooper?

The show is in such a sad state and has been in it for years, and it is in a desperate need of a miracle-worker. But that someone will apparently never come.

• Members

Four writers let go and its a bloodbath? I think some writers at SOW need to be fired.

Big deal that 4 writers were cut...BIG DEAL.

Good lord, they need to focus more on promoting the soaps instead of trying to tear them down.

And Cat...Maureen Garrett was on recurring LONG before Kim ZImmers contract issue, as was Beth Chamberlin I believe.

Stop laying blame on her..she had every right to want her contract to be honored.

• Members

If I made a wrong accusation or got my facts muddled, then I honestly do apologize. But I thought MG was put on contract for the whole Roger's Son SL (Sebastian?) and then put back on recurring again around the time the budget troubles became acute -- and when KZ demanded they pay her the same as in her previous contract cycle. Not that I'm criticizing that -- I think she deserves to be paid the same money as before and GL were essentially gaslighting her to take the cut so that others would follow. But the fact remains that she didn't back down, and so GL chose to make cuts from elsewhere -- namely on some other actors' salaries.

• Members

Beth Chamberlin and Liz Kiefer were placed on recurring back in 2003, as was Maureen Garrett. It's also my understanding that Garrett has moved away from NYC and is busy doing something else non-acting. Marj Dusay was dropped to recurring in 2005. Michael O'Leary was placed back on contract, as was Jordan Clarke. Beth Chamberlin works more than some contract players, and it's up to the writers to decide who to use, hence no Blake since last November. Laying all the blame on Zimmer is so old and passe, and frankly, can be disproven.

Hell, even GL could have Jonathan go out in style with an on-location shoot while Y&R looked silly with their green-screen effects for Dru's demise.

Archived