2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess concerning the new casting director, the 'calibre' or actor will improve.

I'm very relieved that Bell and (hopefully) Sheffer are staying in charge of the story, though you know the old addage 'Power Corrupts and Absolute power corrupt absolutely' and MAB is now officially a very powerful woman. If the alleged rumours about rifts are true, then things might not stay so rosy.

A little concerned that Rauch has been placed in charge of production, given what he is known for production-wise. I guess we won't have endings like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYNu3fG9cgk

Not so much the scene (though it is a recent classic), but the fade-to-black caption credit. Hey, I've alway's liked it.

Also, what becomes of Anthony Morina and John Fisher?

• Members

So, the big question is, what will happen to Josh Griffith? Will he go back to writing or find another producing job?

Has his fi-core status hurt his chances of employment as a writer? Has the scandal of rewriting Maria Arena Bell's material killed his chances of producing again?

Griffith is not producer material, his strenghts are as a scriptwriter. I hope he'll go to OLTL as a scriptwriter, as he has a long history with that show and OLTL needs some decent scriptwriters.

• Members

Ryan Quan, who the hell is that? :unsure:

IMBD has one credit for him, and it's as a "Script typist" for Passions.

I'm assuming he's Asian, and that's cool, I've never known of any Asian writers in daytime.

I may not be fond of Griffith's producing or Head Writing abilities, but I do think he's a very good scriptwriter. I think most soaps would be lucky to have him in that capacity.

I am glad to see him gone from Y&R, he sucked as EP and wasn't a fit for that show at all. However, he isn't without some semblance of talent.

• Members

Today when scripts are typed in Final Draft and Movie Magic, or when storyline projections are typed in word processors, I can't imagine a HW going into his office to meet with his typist dictating the stories sentence by sentence. Nor can I imagine a SW meeting with his typist... I mean, writers' room is pretty much nonexistent in daytime, SWs send their scripts to LA or NY from their homes somewhere in Wyoming, HWs talk to their associates via phone conferences etc.

I just don't see the need for this profession today. When no one uses the typewriter.

Archived