Which Soap has the Best Opening?

• Members

I agree with all those that say DAYS and Y&R have the best openings. They truly give the show a unique identity, something that I feel is very underrated these days. B&B is also pretty good in that it keeps the "fashion" theme with the photos and such.

That's the problem with the opening on the seven other shows. First of all the anniversary opening on GL is cheap-looking. The return of Reverand Ruthledge's mantra is a nice touch, but its not reflected at all in the actual show. Characters are still so absorbed in their own life to care for anyone else. There's no sense of brotherhood or community at all. So the quote just seems to pay homage to the history of the show than give it any real direction or identity (which IMO it should).

The openings for AMC, GH, OLTL, and the previous GL theme are all so alike. They are generic and say nothing about the individual show. There is little of the lighthouse on GL and even smaller glimpses of the hospital on GH. OLTL completely neutered the theme music by getting rid of the urban feel of both the music and visuals. AMC does the best of them all with the photo album and the pictures of family members in the beginning. Honestly, I never know why GL just doesn't go back to the 90s theme with "Hold On to Love." I'm sure they still own the copyright on the theme and technologically speaking, it still holds up today. It probably would be easier to update too since the pictures are in the little circles of light. Plus, I always loved it when they used HOTL to score scenes. I especially loved the simple piano treatment of the theme it was so beautiful.

The problem with the opening for ATWT is that there is SO much going on. They tried to do so much with it that it just looks busy. The theme music is rather convuluted and only gets entertaining about a quarter of the way through. Then there's the crazy transitions and the busy background. It's way too much.

And then the theme for PSNS really doesn't say much about the show at all. For a show that is about supernatural, there no mention of it at all in the opening.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would have to say All My Children has the best opening...I love the pictures of old AMC like with Erica/Adam, Erica in high school, Phoebe, and I believe they have one of Tad when he had amnesia. It's also nice that the music is an upbeat version of the 1990-1995 opening which I loved and is my favorite of all of AMC's openings

• Members

I LOVE the AMC opening & music. I used to love it in the early 90s (think 93-95ish) when they had the falling pictures. But the current opening is far & away the best opening in daytime.

Oh and ANYONE that answers DAYS- C'Mon......Seriously??!?

• Members

I think "Passions" is fine. But I DO think it worked better in 1999. The theme says it all: it's a young-oriented, hip show that takes place in a New England harbor town. Called Harmony! (Thats even in the opening). You see the old photos of people and know that it deals with things from "The past." Tabitha's house plays a prominent role in the opening, so it doesn't "scream" supernatural but its representation is there. Besides, it's more of a young, supernatural as tongue-in-cheek show than a serious show, so it shouldn't necessarily have supernatural sounds or anything like that.

I will say, again, that it worked better in '99 and '00. EVERYTHING about the show clicked back then. The show is getting really good again (finally) but now the opening is not quite clicking like it should. The show is FAR more adult content-oriented. The breezy song is misleading.

Back in the old days, you did NOT see rapes and down-low and other gritty stories such as these on THIS show.

• Members

I love Y&R's opening. And they have the best theme song. They could use some updated pics of the cast, though.

And kudos to DOOL for remaining true to the original concept for their opening. That is such a recognizable symbol, the hourglass.

• Members

I love the opening for DAYS.It is too classic to be done away with.I also love the current openings for AMC and GH.They need to update the ending for GH credits,because Justus and Alcazar are dead characters.ABC needs to constantly update the openings when characters leave the show.

• Members

AMC hands down. Love the photos in the beginning, and at the end they have the photobook closing! :)

I agree. Anyone that says DAYS. com'on.

DAYS is too plain. They need to get a new opening. I am tired of the [#$*&@!^%] opening. Its so annyoing.

"Like Sand through and hour glass, so are the DAYS of Our Lives" Can we say Corny!!!!

B&B I love. It so upbeat and i love that they have the characters name and the actor/actresses name!!!

GH is a mess

OLTL i dislaike cause its editied too much

GL boring

ATWT: Don't get me started. It terrible. They only have the globe at the end. That bull. The music is plain. Also the shorter version takes too much ppl out. I think they took 8 people out. But w/e

Passions: Its ok

Y&R: Love it!!

Rankings:

1. AMC

2. Y&R

3. B&B

4. PSSN

5. OLTL

6. GH

7. GL

8. ATWT

9. DAYS

• Members
Thank you! DAYS is my soap, but I find the opening veeery boring. Update please! i don't want it do change completely, but it's out of date.

I like ATWT the most, I don't FF during this one. I just love how the actors turn from the side sort of, and yeah it's just all good. Almost anyway. I think I like Austin Peck the most in this opening... side, turning, looking down and then up with that eyebrow. Fab. I like West and Terri too.

Can't stand GL's opening, it's too messy. Not that keen on AMC's either, and Y&R is quite boring. Kind of like B&B's though.

My list:

- ATWT

- GH

- B&B

- DAYS

- Y&R

- AMC

- GL

- PSSNS

• Members

I don't think the Days opening is out of date. It's a piece of history. Without majorly altering the premise, what else can you do with the opening? Electronica breakbeats? Somehow I can't imagine the Days theme redone by Jellybean Benitez.

Sometimes keeping in touch with the past is a good thing. I'd be out for blood if someone thought it was cute that we get rid of Macdonald Carey's voiceover and replace it with that skanky girl who plays Stephanie now, or someone "young and cute" like that.

• Members

Here's the temporary 2004 opening that was played during the "Melaswen" storyline, for anyone who may have not heard it in the past or has forgotten what it sounded like.

Notice the quick, quiet and mysterious beginning as it elevates to a grand climax towards the end with the brass instruments. I LOVE it!

2004 "Melaswen" Opening

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Archived