May 28 - June 1, 2007

Toups

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder if soaps are really losing as many viewers as it seems from the ratings? I don't know the answer, I'm just posing the question. If anyone followed that whole thing with Jericho, that's what has me wondering. It seems that households that have DVR's can't have Neilson ratings boxes. At this point, doesn't almost everyone have a DRV/TIVO? I know I do, and I'm not exactly on the cutting edge when it comes to keeping up with technogadgets. So isn't it possible that tons of people are just watching on their DVR's and the ratings for soaps and all shows are just going to continue to slide?

• Members

take a closer look everyone because days of our lives is back!!! It has been Consistency by gaining +1 every week, if they keep this up, they will be in top 3 soaps in ratings. I do look for days to get +1 or +2 for this past week and they will be at a 2.4 or 2.5.

WOW days of our lives is the only gain and that makes me happy, it just proves days is more insteresting and it is not dead yet. only a few weeks ago days was at a 1.8 and now it is back to a 2.3 and they just been going up the nelson ladder.

DAYS IS BACK, so watch y@r because days will give u a fight soon for top spot.

guiding light and as the world turns whats going on with the 2 longest soaps on tv. OUCH but no surprise there with guiding light, that soap is so boring, no offense to the fans but i tried to get in it and i couldn't it was so boring. General hospital and days of our lives is the only soaps i could ever get into, mostly days of our lives.

back to days, the deserve these numbers although they are still low, the upcoming weeks sound good and i do look for days to raise even higher. Days is the phoenix among the soap operas, just like stefano is on days. everytime days are down in ratings, they give us a good story and they raise up in the ratings. ITS ALL BECAUSE OF GOOD WRITING, THE FAB 4, THE DIMERAS AND THE BALANCE IS RETURNING SOMEWHAT.

I still can't believe it, days of our lives is the only soap which gained and the rest just stayed or went down. I LOVE IT, LIVE ON DAYS OF OUR LIVES. PROVE TO NBC YOU STILL GOT IT AND MAYBE THEY WON'T CANCELLE YOU IN 2009, BUT if they don't renew their contract in 2009. If days keep this up, they will find a home ether on abc or cbs in no time and if guiding light cont. the way they are doing, i don't see cbs cont them. Don't offense, they were a great soap, the longest soap in tv but look at those #'s, i know i don't have no place to say because days HAD those numbers a few weeks back but have faith in your soap GUIDING LIGHT FANS, I had faith in mine to raise back up in ratings and they are currently doing so.

Lately it feels like the good old days, WATCH OUT EVERYONE DAYS OF OUR LIVES IS BACK

• Members

Actually, DVR's (Tivo and cable company DVR's) ARE now included in the Nielsen sample. VCR's have always been included. The ONLY thing that could be a problem with the ratings in regard to DVR's is if you don't watch the show within 24 hours of when it was recorded. If you don't, it won't be included in the Live + Same Day ratings most networks use now. (It will be in Live + Same Week if you watch it within the 7 days, but we don't see those here, and they aren't widely used).

• Members

^ How can they use DVR's in the Neilson sample when they have no idea which demo's the viewers are in or how many people are watching in the house? Or is it that they just report that they show has been watched X amount of times on DVR? It just doesn't seem like that's the type of info that is useful to advertisers. I guess it's better than not being counted at all though. Guess I better stop saving my shows up for the weekend.

• Members

It isn't just you but WHY do people keep saying that? For years DAYS and GL have been the two soaps that I try to watch and it's just plain crazy to EVER think that a show averaging a 2.2(GL) is going to canceled for a show with a 2.4 (DAYS)!!!!! I could see if DAYS had the ratings of Y&R, but in my view, this is all just wishful thinking. I think some people are worried by that comment from Zuker about DAYS in 09' and so they want to attack another low performing soap and wish it to the grave when in reality they can't accept that it is their show that might go. GL's not doing so hot right now in the ratings-and part of it has to do with the quality of the show, which needs some help but their are other soaps that deserve lower ratings too-and part of it is just that many people are simply tuning out of soaps. Its been 25 YEARS since the last time one of the big three took another networks cancelled soap. AW had 35 years under its belt, and nobody saved it. SB had a plethora of emmy's and nobody stopped that show from going down the drain. Yes I love DAYS too like a lot of the other people on this board but its been on for over 40 yrs, and GL over 70! In primetime you are lucky to make it through a full year. If these shows go, that'll be a sad day, but you will move on. The day that GL gets cancelled that could mean only WORSE news for DAYS because then NBC might have even more of a reason to get out of soaps!

• Members

I know someone who is part of the Nielsen DVR sample (via TIVO) but I don't know how they calculate it. Only 17% of households have DVRs which surprised me as being very low. Attached is a link to an article from Nielsen about DVR viewing and how now they announced last week that they can now determine if commercials are watched (which could have a huge impact on what advertisers pay for certain shows - if they find out that certain shows have a lot of their commercials being FF, they could demand to pay less - another thing which bodes bad for soaps and their budgets).

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site...000ac0a260aRCRD

I also read a blurb in the newspaper that starting in the Fall (September?) that Nielsen would be including viewers in hotels, bars, airports, etc. and starting this summer they will measure ratings on mobile devices (article below):

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site...000ac0a260aRCRD

If colleges campuses being included in the ratings starting a a few months ago didn't help soap ratings that much, I don't have high hopes that any of these other additions will help much either.

Ratings always seem to go up in the Winter (especially in February) and then start the trek downward. My guess is that the bad weather that keeps people home and inside leads to more viewers tuning in but the stories aren't good enough to keep them as faithful viewers who tape or DVR the show when they leave the house.

• Members

To me it would make perfect sense. DAYS is either always number one or close to it in the 18-34 demo (which is the only one that the network executives really care about), and GL is almost among the lowest in that demo. But yes, I agree it would be a shame though since GL has been on the air for over 70 years. I really apologise, it was never my meaning to make anyone feel attacked, I just try to see this from a business point of view.

• Members

You have to take into account that CBS is one of the networks that doesn't value the 18-49 demos, as much as NBC and ABC do. Also, when soaps switch networks, they tend to lose over half their audience, and since many Days viewers have brand loyalty to NBC, that will surely happen should the show switch networks. The magazines can promote Days switching networks all they want, but it won't make much of a difference. Also, let's not forget that GL has much better respect within the industry than Days does, which matters a lot to CBS. GL also has a very respected cast, where Days is often the soap that lampooned for bad acting. Not to mention that GL has become an Emmy darling in recent years. Seriously, Days was hovering around a 1.9 a few weeks ago, why would they take that kind of business risk by brining it to CBS?

• Members

^CBS as a whole has traditionally skewed towards older viewers over the years. Also, as I mentioned, soaps lose a significant amount of their audience once they switch networks and with daytime viewership declining now, it's definitely a risk to pick up an already canceled show from another network.

• Members

B&B's ratings are dropping for one reason, it's sucks. Nick and Taylor are not cutting it, Ruining good characters such as Brooke and Bridget to facilitate the stupid egg story is doing nothing more than driving their fans away. Bell better get a clue, but since his answer to his crazy stories is to change the channel, I expect more defections.

Archived