What does Rosie's show mean for CBSDaytime?

• Members

This morning on MSNBC they were talking about Rosie's future and it seems that CBS has made the most serious offer to Rosie. They want to do a show that would air opposite The View and I was wondering what this means for the soaps?

Where I live The View airs opposite The Price is Right, surely they aren't crazy enough to move that right? The other option I see is cancelling GL and giving Rosie the post ATWT slot. Thats when most talk shows start to air here. Martha, Montell, Oprah, Dr. Phil, Ellen, etc. all air after the soaps in my city.

Of course we still don't know if Rosie will take their offer. Who knows? She may take a couple years off. She mentioned that she's still doing Nip/Tuck so maybe that will be her focus. But it'll be interesting to see how it affects the soaps. The one good thing is that Rosie loves soaps so she'd probably have lots of soap stars on to promote. It could be a good thing.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good Lord CBS, get a clue! Are you kidding me?!

I don't see them canceling PRICE for ROSIE's show, but I don't know how her show will air opposite THE VIEW. Don't know how things are on the East Coast, but THE VIEW airs opposite PRICE here.

Unless CBS/Paramount is willing to give Rosie a syndie deal, I don't see it happening. And why would anyone want to get in bed with Rosie? It has already been proven that she's a loose cannon.

And I sure as hell don't want her to have a show on CBS at the expense of GL.

• Members

I want to see Rosie back on daytime TV.... The Price is Right won't survive post Bob Barker, so maybe it would be wise to end it now and have a Rosie network talk show to air opposite The View.

Rosie brings in ratings.... and she may be better in a one host environment.

I look forward to seeing how this develops.

• Members

Me too. I've been watching The View for the last ten years. This past year has been the first time it's ever been (blushes) appointment television for me. My hours and days off vary, so I always made sure that if I'm not home, I was setting the VCR. And you could be right. She may be better in a single host environment. I think a lot of the tension in the political discussions had to do with that Elisabeth was un/misinformed about a good number of things, and clearly, that pissed Rosie off -- and when you hire somebody because they're outspoken, don't be surprised when they speak out.

That's true -- but if any of this is true, after this past Year of the Rosie, CBS knows exactly what they're getting into if they do follow through.

• Members

If they pick the right host, PRICE can survive. Doesn't PRICE draw better households than THE VIEW? O'Donnell's controversy could end up getting her show pulled well ahead of schedule...and if that happens, CBS will probably give their affiliates that hour.

• Members

Unfortunately, television is a Monkey See, Monkey Do industry. All the executives see is "ratings went UP when such and such happened." And not only are they Monkey See/Do, they're also wreckless with greed. "Even though our ratings are on top, LET'S GET EVEN MORE RATINGS SO WE CAN GET EVEN MORE MONEY FOR ADVERTISING!!!"

I'm not trying to rain on your parade as a CBS fan. I got nothing but love, and actually admire CBS for being the only one of the Big Three that respect soap opera (I say as I hang my head in shame, being a Frons Driven-ABCD viewer). But, CBS always seems ready to pounce on an ABC cast-off.

Weren't they the first ones to offer Ellen Degeneres a deal after ABC kicked her off the air seven, eight years ago? :unsure:

• Members

Well, Rosie certainly isn't the queen of nice anymore, that is for sure!!! I really don't see CBS wanting her on their daytime lineup. All the controversy around her may give her ratings for a while but people grow tired of sideshows so I don't see her doing well for very long. I could be wrong but I don't have a lot of respect for anymore and I wouldn't watch her show.

• Members

Oh, don't get me wrong. ITA with you.

But CBS is in a weird position currently cause they've finally managed to establish a relatively good balance between consistency & experimentation.

If TPTB start makin such big changes with as many variables as there are, they're riskin more trouble then it's worth IMO.

• Members

As an ABCD fan, witnessing the destruction this theory is causing, ITA! An aborted fetus come back to life is a storyline I wish never has to darken your doorstep.

But maybe we're all just getting ahead of ourselves. Rosie might do another format all together. Politics and social issues were part of The View's fabric. Maybe after going through all of the crap she's dealt with this past year, she'll want to to go in another direction and the whole "Rosie=Controversy" will be a non-issue.

I feel for her. Her heart is in the right place... I may not agree with her all the time, and she may not go about certain things in the best way, but still. She's taken plenty of risks this past year speaking for those who are deemed unworthy or unfit to have a voice.

• Members

Don't feel too bad we have reformed drunks kidnappin deSORASed babies & omnipresent Ghosts.

Probably. But didn't Rosie express interest in doin another talk show too though?

ITA.

She seemed really shaken once she understood The View PTB weren't on her side.

Rosie is a bully who can't take what she dishes out.

However, it's definitely difficult to watch regardless.

• Members

I disagree. I don't think it was JUST Rosie that made the ratings soar. It was the dynamic of all the women put together, the fights among them, etc. Ro, alone, could be a hilarious disaster waiting to happen. I mean, if she flies solo and intends to garner similar controversy, she'll HAVE to invite guests just to bitch at them. And very few guests would put up with that just for the publicity.

Please, CBS, or someone! Pick this woman's show up so miss holier-than-thou can FAIL MISERABLY!!! :)

Archived