Could CBS pick up DAYS?

• Members

Does anyone else think that CBS could pick up DAYS in 2009 if it's cancelled by NBC in 2009?

My reasoning is that DAYS is basically drawing the same ratings as GL is now and isn't that far off from catching ATWT. I'm thinking that CBS might cancel both shows and pick up DAYS for just three hours of soaps. I mean in a way it makes financial sense, why pay for two shows when you save a lot money for one. DAYS also would bring in better 18-49 demos than both shows do now.

Just a thought.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why would they pick up Days when the show is currently barely edging out GL in terms of total viewers? CBS has always been geared towards older demos, so the 18-49 group wouldn't mean as much to them as it does to ABC and of course NBC.

Also, if Days were to switch networks, the ratings decline would be even worse. A lot of soap viewers watch soaps based on brand/network loyalty, so many won't be crossing over to another network to view it. Case and point being EON and SFT, both shows did worse after switching networks. Sure, a Days swap would be heavily promoted in the soaps mags, but that sure as hell isn't enough.

Should they cancel the P&G soaps, it would make more sense for them to expand B&B to an hour. Sure, Bradley's ADD and the assimilation of new characters would have to be handled diligently, but I think it could be done. Also, CBS has had the most consistent soap lineup of any network during the past 25 years, I don't see them wanting to change much of anything right now, adding a new program to its schedule would be a risky move, and with the way daytime ratings are going, it probably wouldn't pay off in the long run.

• Members

I highly doubt it for several reasons.

1) CBS is less obsessed with the younger demos than ABC or NBC

2) GL & ATWT have established relationships with the network and the former has the prestige of being the oldest soap on air.

3) GL is virtually matching DAYS in the ratings despite having a smaller budget & airing in fewer markets.

4) As the previous post noted, network switches tend to result in further ratings declines. Cancelling any soap to make room for DAYS would also breed resentment among existing CBS viewers (possibly hurting the ratings of its other soaps).

If DAYS does find a new home in 2009, CBS is the least likely destination. I would think they would need to be getting close to 3.0 ratings for it to even be considered.

• Members

I agree!! NEVER!! It defeats the purpose to cancel two shows for one show! It's stupid, as a package deal ATWT and GL pull more ratings than DAYS combined I just don't see it happening. I do see the Price is Right going down without Bob Barker and that paving the way for DAYS! Perhaps CBS could tell the affl. that air GL at 10 to air DAYS in that slot and give GL a better home!

• Members

I can't see CBS picking up DAYS. They already air 4 soaps a day. There just isn't any room in their line-up to add it and cancelling ATWT and/or GL would piss off so many fans that it would all be in vain. I think if any network picks up DAYS, it will be ABC and it would probably come on in that 11 am (Central, Noon Eastern) slot that is used for affilaite programing.

• Members

Sorry, but I agree with everyone. There is no chance CBS would pick up DAYS. There isn't one reason why they would do so.

Meanwhile, I'd like to see DAYS get higher ratings. With the thrilling summer storyline coming (DiMeras) and much more, I hope DAYS will pick up. Otherwise, I don't see it going anywhere past 2009. If DAYS would air on any other network, it probably wouldn't be in the same danger as it is now. (Sadly, NBC did pull the plug on "Another World," which was one of the best too; + "Sunset Beach" & "Passions").

• Members

The only way CBS would consider it is if Price is Right takes a ratings dive after Bob Barker retires and they replace him (and the candidates leave much to be desired). I think Price will probably be gone since Bob is the huge draw for that show but you never the replacement might be right at home. The problem with it going to ABC is that they own all their shows and they would want the same thing for DAYS. If GL or ATWT or both is cancelled DAYS would be the enemy to those fans.

• Members

I agree. CBS cancelling a soap to add Days I don't think will work. I have heard a similar idea with ABC which I think is even more ridiculous since aren't their soaps all produced in NYC?

I think the only hope Days fans have for the show after 2009 if NBC does what they appear ready to do is that some form of the show continues on DirectTV like Passions or if SoapNet winds up being the place to watch the show.

• Members

On ABC, All My Children & One Life to Live are produced in NY. General Hospital is produced in LA.

If it appears on any network, I could see ABC picking it up. They've been interested in the past.

Archived