DAYS: Adrienne... I'm having trouble adjusting...

• Members

Okay, let me start off by saying that I love Judi Evans. I loved her as Paulina on "Another World." I loved her as Bonnie on Days... and I certainly loved her in clips I'd seen from her times on GL/Days as Beth and Adrienne.

That said, I can't adjust to her as Adrienne. I mean, I think she's doing a smashing job. As much as loved her as Bonnie, it's great to see her play a 'normal' role again -- the sane, dramatic soapy character she was always meant to play as one of daytime's best tear producers. I just don't understand her place on the show today. I'm already disconnected to Steve and Kayla the way they're being written and with the story they're in, so anyone associated with them is likely to be lost in the shuffle, as well. In addition to that, they haven't really addressed who she is, where she came from, why she's there or where her life is today. Where is Justin?

As someone who never saw her original run, I need a reason to care about her -- side from Judi just being a kickass actress. The writing needs to back her up. I need her introduced to me... I need to know who she is, what's happened to her over the last few years, where her life is today, etc. Thus far, she's just been tossed onto my screen and instantly written into story, and without a proper ease-in or introduction, I can't help but think that she has no place on today's Days. Aside from being involved with Steve and Kayla, I can't even begin to imagine what purpose she'll serve on her own.

Am I making sense?

Anyway, it has nothing to do with Judi, because she's doing everything right with the role. There's just something that I can't grasp with her as Adrienne, and I'm finding it difficult to really care about her or why she's here.

...am I alone in this? LoL

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely not. Adrienne had not even been mentioned prior to Kayla's brainstorm, so she missed out on the "Steve's alive" reveal and that would certainly have been the time to have at least shown them talking to her on the phone, etc. But, NO, Kayla calls Adrienne and almost before she hangs up the phone, Adrienne is at the door with absolutely no explanation of how she got there, what travel plans she had, how her family is, no chit-chat to break the ice, just go get Steve out of the insane asylum any way you can. Not only that, but her hair is awful, color, texture, style, personally, I believe it is a wig as I cannot see Judi Evans wearing that horror all day, day in and day out everywhere she goes. She did make some references to Steve and Adrienne's upbringing with that sentimental stab about their mother....which was not good since I never saw it and it meant absolutely nothing at all to me, except sentimental overdone sob story. Now, that being said, if the writing brings a real lifelike character to her and integrates her into a real story, do something humane with her hair, then maybe she could be enjoyed and believed.

• Members

Well, I'm enjoying the Steve/Adrienne scenes and Judi's acting has been excellent but you both make valid points. Her involvement in this story has been incredibly RANDOM. She seems more like a walking plot device than a stand-alone character with indvidual traits. The lack of a personal introduction makes it hard to envisage a future for the character when this story ends. Then again, Judi's S&K propping will probably give her about the same airtime as Bonnie got propping Mimi/Patrick.

• Members

I'll just repost what I said in the best week thread.

And I have no use for the Steve and Kayla story. The Johnson's are so boring, and not interesting anymore, they are really a bore. Adrienne's involvment in this story I did not like how it was done. An undercover cop who's trained could have done that, and should have done that. And I don't like that they didn't address her current status at all - what's she been doing? How's she been? Is she still with Justin Kiriakis? Is she living in Salem - she got over to that house pretty quick after Kayla called. Seeing as her name in the credits is "Adrienne Johnson Kiriakis" I can only assume she's still with Justin, is he in Salem too? Why are we not hearing about Philip or Victor interacting with them? They just just threw her into a very plot oriented situation where she didn't fit.

• Members

I couldn't agree more, Kennylicious! I was hoping that her and Steve would spend a lot more time in the hospital for the mentally impaired before breaking out. Since Steve didn't really recall Adrienne at the time, this would've been a great time for the writers to have Adrienne run through details of her life and reminise of the past with Steve. This would've introduced her character well, and allowed a meaningful relationship to develop between Adrienne and Steve.

• Members

IA, but I love Evans too and she is awesome to watch. But everything you said was spot on. All she is is a plot device, it's coming across like her involvement in the storyline was all Corday's doing and not Hogan's and that we are not going to learn anything much about her outside of that. It's silly, and it kind of sucks since S&K's storyline has included a lot of "isolation" already.

• Members

The way Adrienne pops in and out of episodes is a little silly. But Kayla had a moment with Roman where she explained why Adrienne would do anything for Steve (he took the rap when she killed her father) and most of Adrienne's scenes were a stroll down memory lane. She explained Steve's background to him and their history. I did not like that after they got out of that hospital, she disappeared.

She's back now and I'm looking forward to seeing her again, but nothing on DAYS flows like it should. There's something missing. I don't really care about the characters for some reason, even though I've been watching for years. So far my only real complaint regarding Judi is that I don't like her hair color. She should be blonde, and I hope eventually she goes back to her natural color.

• Members

She returned around May 1st or so. She has been helping to get Steve out of the crazy house. That is ALL she has been doing. She has not interacted with anyone but Kayla and Steve (and did she interact with Roman? Bo?, Not sure). But we know nothing really about how Adrienne is, all she is doing really is helping Steve.

• Members

Well no surprise here but I couldn't disagree more on all counts. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to separate Bonnie from Adrienne but from the moment Adrienne saw Steve and had her initial scenes with him, I was all "Bonnie who?" I couldn't even see Bonnie in her.

And again no surprise but I couldn't be less bored by S&K. Sure their story stalled out for 3 months but so did everyone else's. I was bored by their storyline at points but I was bored with everyone's story at some point in the last 3 months. I think SN and MBE did amazing things with the material they were given and what's happening with them both right now has me on the edge my seat.

Oh god, I can't imagine him being in that place one more second. It sucked all the life out of the story!

• Members

I couldn't agree more. I still think alot of the disconnect some have for Judi is Adreinne is for the same reasons as Steve/Kayla. Fans didn't watch back then and clips do not give you enough of a feel for a character. If you are there for the journey these characters took the first time, it's easier to connect and invest. Steve/Kayla were going good with fans until they were on everyday with their story going nowhere.

Now, having said that, I see where some are coming from. Judi mentioned in SOD that alot would not be addressed initially. I would like to hear about Justin and other things but she has only been in 4 episodes thus far and has only had interaction with Bo, Roman, Kayla, EJ, and Steve. Tomarrow she interacts with Hope. One thing Days is doing is not shoving her down fans's throats. She isn't on alot and showing her with Roman, Hope, and Bo is a good way to go. They just need to give people a little more story about her and I am sure we will get mote if she is here for the long hull. I think we just need to wait and see because she hasn't been on enough to worry yet. Judi is doing a bangup job and I give them credit for her look because it helps along with her performance. The writing for her has been fantastic and her scenes with everyone have captured Adrienne as a character well and also the relationship between her and Steve/Kayla is being done right. I will say I am surprised not as many people are having a problem adjusting. It only seems like a minority and I thought it would be a majority. I think Judi is helping fans get into it so that is a good thing. I would also like to see an Adrienne/Victor scenes but I will give them time. I am just happy to have her.

• Members

Like King and GBB, the difference between Adrienne and Bonnie has been made quite stark. However, like Kenny, the isolation of the story over the past three months and it's continued isolation as the most ridiculous POS going on with the show isn't helpful. Some scenes with Victor, Philip, anyone else would be nice. It'd also be nice if they actually acknowledged that Kayla and Adrienne were like best buds way before we knew she was Steve's sister. The chemistry was certainly there over the gun issue in today's show, but I don't think the distinction's ever been made.

Archived