Days: If Hack Writers Were Still Writing The Show...

• Members

Since we have people who feel that if former HWs were still writing on Days that it would be a great show, what would be happening right now if ANY of the previous shlock writers that wrote for the show were still on there?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, stuff would probably be happening, either good or bad. ;)

This is going to turn into another discussion about Hogan's talents, so I'll just get the party started now.

Hogan is overrated.

Think about it: His most heralded period of ATWT (2000-01), which earned him his stellar reputation, came when he basically inherited Leah Laiman's storylines. Leah's story ideas weren't that bad (at least in my opinion) but the execution was awful. Hogan came in, threw in a few twists, nods to history, nice character interaction, tied up Laiman's stories in exciting ways and he was championed as the next Marland.

Once his first year ended, he was starting his own stories from scratch and that's when began to lose fans. He became if nothing a polarizing writer, and although he could write slam-dunk episodes (which won him the Emmys), his stories left things to be desired. Oh, and he neglected the veterans while he had his pets he would write for no matter what. Sound familar?

Hogan may have won four Emmys. But, I honestly put no stock in that fact, because they gave Hogey four of them, while they gave Doug Marland 0 (for ATWT).

• Members

I thank you so much for your reply.

But, this is a topic for what the title in the thread says. There are so many threads that are talking about Hogan, so I just was wondering if anyone could come up with what would be happening on Days if some of the previous lousy writers were on there.

But, great comments. :)

• Members

As a JER fan, I'll go ahead and defend what would probably be happening right now if he were in the chair lol.

- Marlena, John, Bo, AND Hope would be appearing in the top 10.

- There would be NO Gabby or Willow

- Jan and Tek would have been the gloved hands and would probably still be around.

- EJ wouldn't be as annoying

...those are just the major differences that I can think of.

• Members

If JER were still writing, all of our favourite fired characters like Carrie, Austin, and Frankie would still be around.

Stefano would probably be back regardless of the writer.

There would never have been a Willow, thank heavens!

John/Marlena and Bo/Hope would be frontburner.

There would be a Chelsea/Max/Abby triangle with Stephanie thrown in for good measure, as there would be no Nick.

• Members

The show would not have fallen in the ratings and hired JER. They would probably still be averaging around a 3.0. The fans loved them.

Rion, no one wants to see Chelsea and Stephanie in a triangle with Abby/Max. Hello incest!!! Let's keep that stuff off Days. Bad enough we had it for over a year.

• Members

I'm not saying I want to see that. But JER would've written it. Besides, Max and Chelsea aren't even biological Bradys....Chelsea is a Kiriakis by blood. As for Stephanie, JER was obviously establishing them as a possible couple when he left. Max being ADOPTED is the key to the anti-incest counterarguments.

• Members

I agree...I personally don't have a problem with fictional incest. Days, Passions, etc...are ALL fiction. If my adopted brother was sleeping with my daughter in real life, I'd be a bit perturbed....but it's a tv show..these things aren't real. Doesn't bother me.

• Members

Maybe but it would've been plot driven, alienating the fanbases, having stories and plots that go on for two years with more holes then you would see in a donut shop, and yet it probably would still be scoring a 1.9 or worse.

Why? Because Days would've never been renewed under JER so it would be near it's end by now and, even if it wasn't, the budget would've been slashed so we would've still had cuts. Corday still would've pushed the same characters so he could experiment to see if the show works without the expensive vets so he could backburner them or cut them if he wanted to for budget reasons or to move the show. Long time fans wanted a change. Thet hated JER and maybe some hate Hogan but there are others who still have hope and can see there are some positives.

I like JER and loved his first run. I liked the beginning of his second but let's not glorify the same man that also brought Days to record lows and nearly got his own show cancelled. This is also the same man that has a field day destroying the characters he helped create on Passions. The show is good now but it took a long time to get there and it drove many long time fans away, same as he did at Days.

Yes, the ratings are lower under Hogan but JER started driving them down there in the first place along with Higley and Langan.

Archived