SOW: Blind Item

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is no way the network was not well-informed of REG's contract negotiations.

I wonder if it was Cady. It seems McTavish got the heave ho right after that. Of course the person who dumped her was the EP -- who I personally think is 95 percent of the problem at AMC. Anyway, no way it's REG.

• Members

I KNOW! It breaks my heart to think that AMC had such a talented actor, completely wasted his time byt refusing to write for him, saddling his character with BABE the worthless, ungrateful daughter and then fired him!

Judging by REG's comments I think she would consider inking a new contract if they can come to terms but IA she was not fired.

I’ve come to think of AMC Executive producer Julie Hanan Carruthers as “Julia Hanan the Corruptor” because AMC has been ruined for me.

Under her regime AMC fired, let go or insulted these actors until they left on their own:

(I only listed the ones I was really sorry to see leave)

John Callahan (Edmund)

Eva La Rue (Maria)

James Scott (Ethan)

Lamman Rucker (Garret, he was barely there but I really liked him)

Michael B. Jordan (Reggie)

Tanisha Lynn (Dani)

Julia Barr (Brooke)

Vincent Irizarry (David)

Terri Ivens (Simone)

Cady McClain (Dixie)

There could be more but I don't want to think about it anymore. It's too sad.

Dropped from contract to recurring:

Jill Larson

Tonya Pinkins

And now they are losing:

Eden Riegel (Bianca)

Jeffrey Carlson (Zoe)

Alexa Havins (I don’t like the character but I think the actress is good)

I think it was a pity that they lost Rebecca Budig (Greenlee) but she really wanted to go so I can’t fault AMC…and her character was starting to annoy me… Rylee…need I say more?

• Members

Yeah, I was sorry to see most of them go (save for John Callahan, James Scott, and Lamman Rucker), but honestly, any talented executive producer is going to have disappointing departures under their reign, for a variety of reasons, and it's not neccessarily their fault. It's just the nature of soaps. I have a list of people that left under Felicia Minei Behr that I was sorry to see go, but that doesn't make me not love her and her period at the show.

I think it's really iffy to blame an ABC executive producer for what goes on at their shows. True, Julie has said some "WTF?" things (see her interview about Cady's departure for a textbook example), but I don't think it was her decision to get rid of her, nor do I think she decided to fire everyone else on the list. Because everyone knows that Frons initiates several departures (i.e. he mandates them). And in addition to Frons, you had Megan McTavish, with whom Frons loved and listened to more than he would JHC (in my opinion). Frons has his writers, with whom he collaborates with, and then he has his EPs, who carries out their dirty work and speak to the press about it.

There was a long period, after JHC took over, when AMC was in good shape. Everyone was merrily on contract and the show didn't have a lot of departures. Starting in 2006, it was a different story. The ratings were down, the budget was cut, and then the cast starting bleeding out. I would have to think that those departures started at the network level.

• Members

Yeah, I do think Frank is a big part of the problem. Let's go back five years ago. He has consistently had one flood of newbies follow another. When he became EP, Viki was shunted off to the backburner. Characters just disappeared.

He shows his true colors. He is the guy who really wanted Mikey. You read his comments in mags. Most recently it has been about how he is using the racism story to develop Vincent as a character. He acts like he has no say in the show. He does. He doesn't take responsibility. Does anybody really think that if the EP of a show said we need to dump a writer, Frons would say, oh you can't.

Perhaps he would, but I think Frank is as much to blame as anyone. I really believe is the reason why we get all these newbies with no talent and I think he and Dena are the reason Dan G. is gone. The AMC EP has made a mess of the show, but at least she says it's her. The writer and EP of GH both stand up and take responsibility. OLTL is the only ABC soap that seems to be making really poor decisions and hiding from em.

• Members

Frankie is so not blameless. HS made some interesting comments (read that slammed FV) in talking about the next IWBASS and having to restore the show's credibility.

I also agree that FV's aw shucks everything is perfect attitude is a huge problem. Either he is deaf, dumb and blind if he truly thinks there are no problems or he has no use for the intelligence of his audience if he thinks we buy that BS. I personally think he has no respect for the audience given the show he puts out. As awful as Dena is I'd rather see FV go before her. We've sat through FV TV under Malone and Dena and there are very bad common problems that lie at his feet.

Archived