SoapNet: More Disturbing News From The Internet

• Members

Found this posted at: http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc...R%3E%20%3CBR%3E

The lady did not post the original source. But this fits in with what Frons was saying in his interview. This is ridiculous. Shows like Jerry Springer, Love Boat, etc. have other places to be shown. This is stupid.

I do love the sounds of Dark Shadows & Peyton Place, but I hate we are losing Another World for it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This has good aspects and bad aspects.

I would love to see reruns of the golden age of "The Jerry Springer Show" (the late 90s), but that DOES NOT belong a network celebrating passion and romance. Are they [!@#$%^&*] insane?

On the other hand, "Dark Shadows" and "Peyton Place" are shows that deserve to be on television. Same with "The Love Boat," which was similar to the former SOAPnet show "Hotel" anyway.

Why do these channels feel the need to change formats?! Why can't their owners just cough up the cash to make a whole new network? Now that I think about that, I do remember the constant rumors of SOAPnet creating a second channel. Could this simply be in preparations for that?

Or this could all be a bunch of made up crap...

• Members

What I don't get is if you want Passions and Drama, why get rid of AW? Um it has tons of Passion and Drama. There's Ryan and Vicky, the Frankie/Cass/Kathleen triangle, and the stuff with Paulina and Jake that's coming up and so and so on. That is why this sounds like crap. This sounds like someone who wants to see those shows back on TV made up and wants to get SN watchers further riled up than they already are.

• Members

Yes I agree this must be false. For one, if they are getting rid of RH and AW, I highly doubt they would get two soaps that are even older. I don't expect them to be adding any more classic soaps are this rate. I expect in a few years we'll be getting Ugly Betty, Brothers and Sisters, Gilmore Girls, Felicity, etc.

Plus PDN sounds like that religious channel CBN and certainly doesn't have a ring to it. It would just cheapen the brand, but really with Frons nothing surprises me.

• Members

I can't see Ugly Betty and Brothers and Sisters on Soapnet. They will go to Lifetime to be with GA and DH. Gilmore Girls seems quite comfortable on ABC family.

ETA: In fact, I bet we hear sometime towards the end of the year that UB and B&S will start airing on Lifetime. It was halfway through DH and GA's second seasons that it was announced that their off network rights went to Lifetime.

• Members

Well it will definitely be between SOAPnet and Lifetime for the repeats. They would've had Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy if they had the money. I don't think UB and B&S will cost as much because they had less viewers. SOAPnet will have more of a shot.

But whatever recent soap it is, thats what we can expect, not daytime classics. But it all depends on how The OC/OTH do. Lets keep our fingers crossed it flops and viewers get sick of watching the same cycle of episodes every four months, multiple times a day.

• Members

UB and B&S may have less viewers but with their casts and who runs them, I can't see them agreeing to air their re-runs on Soapnet. I know that Soapnet is running a B&S recap show next weekend but them airing re-runs of a show that stars Sally Field and Callista Flockhart? I don't think so. Not to mention Lifetime reaches way more homes. It has been part of basic cable for years and years.

• Members

Yes and SOAPnet has been growing every year. They also mentioned having great ratings for the few episodes of Ugly Betty they have aired. They may not get the shows in the end, but I can assure you that they will absolutely be a frontrunner when it comes to picking these shows up.

Soaps don't syndicate well so it's only going to be between Lifetime, Oxygen and SOAPnet for all of these soapy new shows. And if The OC/OTH is a success them SOAPnet will continue growing and growing and this is clearly the direction they want to go i n.

• Members

If SoapNet is still in the digital only tier those shows will want a station that has more chance of an audience (and would pay a lot more.) I'd suspect ABC Family may be an option as would TNT, USA and a few others.

Now whether or not they'd get the money they would like is another matter. Audiences are going down across the board. The industry is suffering. I think things will be changing.

Archived