Notes on a Scandal

DruRocks

• Members

Looooved it. Judi Dench was absoultely exceptional in this film. I know Helen Mirren got tons of well-deserved praise, but I think Judi deserves some honors as well.

The movie as a whole was great in keeping up the suspense and intrigue. It reminded me of 'Prime Suspect,' which I loved as well.

I also thought Cate Blanchet was great. As wrong as her character and Steve Conoley (Andrew Simpson) were...I found them kinda hot lol. After fully seeing this movie, I'm not sure if I would have given the Academy Award to Jennifer Hudson. Other than her big number in DreamGirls...I think Blanchet gave her a run for her money in the acting department. But I ain't going to hate on JHud because before I saw Blanchet, I thought she deserved it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Judi Dench's character was so vile, but yet so entertaining. Judi did an excellent job here in not overplaying the character. I loved the scene where Barbara was threatening Sheba to be with her in mourning her cat. And I loved Blanchet's scene where she goes batsh!t on Barbara. Superb.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

A delicious mesmerizing film..with GREAT GREAT performances by Dench and Blanchett. cate was totally robbed of her 2nd Supporting Actress oscar. Hudson had piss all on Blanchett in the acting department. Thank God both women at least recieved Oscar nominations..but Cate deserved the win. Plain and simple.

• Members

i couldn't disagree with you more regarding cate blanchett. she's highly overrated and brought nothing distinct to her part in notes. any actress could've played this role. whereas jhud was fantastic and outshined an academy award winner, a huge movie star/comedian, a multiple grammy winner and an awarded, broadway actress all in her first film role. i think cate was even overrated in "i'm not there." she looks silly in that wig pretending to be a man and bob dylan no less.

as for the pairing with andrew simpson (steve conoley), i was cheering when the boy's mother was pulling cate's hair and beating her for having an affair with an underage teen boy. people who have affairs are beyond selfish. i think people who have affairs now serve jail time in chile, and this rule should be adopted by all countries. then again, i don't think there would be enough prisons in the usa if that law was in effect.

as for dame judi, she was spellbinding. she was riveting. the way she narrated the movie really brought her character's internal life to.............. life. the scene where she tells cate's character to accompany her to the vet and grabs her by the collar was the highlight of the entire film. the ending was just perfect.

Archived