ALL: I've given up DAYS, Need a new soap

• Members

Exactly. That and fans are way to quick to jump ship these days. As our own Ryan Chandler said (and so did many others on ITZ the other night), when things are good people stay and when things are bad people jump. It's sad but its the truth. Days is boring but it will picl up and then everyone will be praising it again like nothing happened. I can totally understand quitting a show because the quality sucks but quitting a show when the quality is good and the only thing wrong is balance issues and stories being a little slow is something I don't see. To each their own.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't suggest any other show. I am watching GH here and there but they are reverting back to pre-sweeps. OLTL has improved but is still not must see. AMC is still a mess and I would wait for the new HW before tuning in. ATWT is getting there but is nothing special. Y&R is hit and miss. B&B is lacking a bit. Passions is Passions.

The only show really on a roll right now is GL so I would stick with that and give Days a little while longer. Maybe just watch Days when you can until it gets good again or something.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I spend more and more time doing other things than watching Days when it's on these days. I'm seriously considering turning the channel for good but haven't decided where to....maybe Y&R. That one has the most ratings, so hopefully it's got a lot going for it.

• Members

Because sometimes, life happens. And you begin to prioritize and making time for a show that is like watching paint dry falls on the list of things to do. It has nothing to do with loyalty. It has to do with the show not delivering.

• Members

Kind of! I grew up, realized that JER lost his touch, that DAYS won't be around forever, and that there is a world out there besides soap operas! And it's full of problems way bigger than the Neilsen Ratings. ;)

• Members

Oh, I know that King. I understand people have busy lives. I do too. I just tape what I can and watch other soaps on Soapnet. I guess it depends on the person. It takes alot to make me give up and watch. The thing that bothers me is for years people wanted better for Days and wanted it to be classic soap. Now it has and people start jumping ship. It makes it weirder that people are quitting when the show isn't bad. It's slow but to quit watching completely just seems weird, especially if you are one that stuck with it through the horrible times. I do think it has to do with loyalty because fans aren't loyal as a whole anymore. I remember the days when fans stuck with shows no matter what but soaps weren't in such dire straits as they are now. Still, loyalty in today's world is rare. I also think many Days fans are confused as to what they want. They say they wanted traditional and a normal soap and now they want more action and aren't as big on character development and the little things. Some fans come off as actually wanting JER or some of Days other past poor writers to come back.

Everyone is different and everyone leads different lives. Sometimes priorities require people to think about what they are watching and, if a show is slower then others they watch, that show goes. For me, I would quit other shows because I am a die hard Days fan but that's me. I just hate seeing the same people praising a show two months ago jumping off the ship so fast when I know when the show gets good they will be praising it again. It makes those that stick with it through every episode feel uncomfortable. I also know that some had it out for Hogan since he came to Days (especially the fanbases who got upset two weeks in when the couples weren't together yet).

Sadly, I think many fans of Days are going to be rethinking watching the show. It just seems like the adjustment to character-driven, traditional drama has been jarring for many people. It sucks but I think Days is catering to a different audience now. Maybe I am wrong but we'll see. The show is delivering quality-wise and it's clear there are things happening behind the scenes (some budget related and, perhaps, some related to something else) because things got out of whack way too fast. Something is up but, like others have said, I will take somewhat boring, slow stories over what we were being given anyday.

• Members

Agreed again. I realized the same thing. Soaps wont be here forever. I have so much going in my life right now. But thats for the random thoughts thread. :lol: Phoenix, Megan McTavish, Jean Passanante, Ellen Weston could all be co head writers and you would still think Days was good.

• Members

Once again, I don't see myself as being disloyal to DAYS for tuning out. I'm just not a glutton for punishment. If the show is not good, I am not going to watch. It's reciprocal. If DAYS wants loyalty, they need to show some to me.

• Members

Well, I think it all depends on your definition of "loyalty". I know for me personally, it takes A LOT to get me to stop watching one of my shows. Maybe that's partly why Phoenix and I find it so strange for DAYS fans to be throwing in the towel so quickly. I guess it's just different for people, not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Members

Those that want to quit, quit. I stand by what I said.

Oh, and Soapsuds, I may think it was good with those writers but I still wouldn't quit. Everyone has a favorite show and I will watch it until it leaves the air. I can't say that about the other shows because they aren't my faves. I grew up watching Days in the 80's and haven't stopped yet. If it's your fave, I beleive you stick with it. That is why I can respect Passions fans for sticking with it. I can voice my displeasure with it but I won't ever tell them to stop watching. If you have a favorite show, you stick with it. That is my feeling anyway.

Archived