2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Take a look at CBS.com for Y&R's Emmy celebration party...

There TWO dudes from SONY behaving as if they made the show great - apparently SONY is deadset on 'turning Y&R around' for 'more success' in the future. *rolls eyes*

Bell Dramatic Serial has apparently less and less controll over their father's legacy...

• Members

I am quite sad to hear this. I have been wondering how much control the Bells have. and OMG. To the VLL joining the show. I am all for it. New blood needs a start some where. Give him a chance. Young fresh new ideas. Lord knows the soap world needs it. If I was writing any show, and if my child had skills at writing, then of course I would pput my child on. You guys wouldn't?

• Members

You make two very powerful points, neither of which is the fact that some

of the best writing talent in daytime has been allowed to drift from that show,

which damages its continuity.

I actually love Lynn, but things are dangerously

bad over there--the show has never been "broke", and unfortunately, instead of trying

to maintain its identity, it's being remade over into a generic plot-boiler.

• Members

Also, being a show runner is a big deal - at any time in the industry there's, like, twenty or some more show runners and 10000 members of WGA. And they're all typified - there are firefighters and I don't know the others (once I did), so it depends on a situation which one you'll bring. They make final cuts to stories, supervise everything from props to costumes and sets, choose directors and other staff and so on. So they are primarily responsible if a programme is a failure or a smash hit and choosing a person who'll run your show is pretty much the most important decision a network honcho will have to make.

And daytime has been for decades, not years, plagued by incestuousness of staffing, "slackness of approach and banality of material". So fixing it is a herculean task.

• Members

If my child showed an active interest in writing, and decided I was the one who would train him in the art of writing - maybe. And only maybe. But since I'm sure of myself and my abilities, I would make sure my child would write very well and I would probably hire him or her.

So an universal response to your question doesn't exist. I have to answer you in Einsteinean fashion, relativistically: it depends. ;)

• Members

Of course. But letting him write means letting take part in writer meetings (not that I expect such a LML's Y&R because the writing is inconsistent and contradictory from day 1/writer A to day 2/writer B...) before having him such a vital role - you only gret credited as a writer if you're realllllly involved and I don't think this young man has paif his dues yet.

Brad Bell worked for most of the 80s on Y&R. He got never credited because he was there to learn and not to spread his youthful wisdom and start instantly writing shows.

He had at least 5 years under his belt before being named s part of B&B's writing team in 1987...

• Administrator

Yeah, letting your 21 year old son write a script is ridiculous. At least Lynsey Dufour and Marina Alburger worked their way up. And what does Michael Montgomery (A Writers Assistant/Story Coordinator) think about this? He doesn't get a shot at writing something?

This reminds me of the Dena Higley era where she just let everyone write a script - Jacqueline Frazier, a BOOM OPERATOR wrote a script!! Unbelievable, eh!?

• Members

I don't watch Y&R regularly to sense the difference in dialog. But I know that the rumored hiring of Megan McTavish's niece, Courtney Bugler, as script writer at All My Children from May 2005-present has brought about some of the WORST dialog in the show's recent history. And she hit the ground running, writing two scripts in six days.

I think Sylph is right -- for some people, when it comes to nepotism, objectivity goes right out the window. And when it comes to writing for an established series, that's not a good look.

• Administrator

GL:

- David Smilow last listed as Script Writer on July 23

Also, GL is now listing their writers in alphabetical order and this is the beginning of the writers writing both breakdowns and scripts.

Archived