No More Day-Aheads

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SOD has a blurb about Global's deal to air day ahead in their Mail Bag section earlier and acorrding to them the network (Global) made a deal with the production company to air the show in day ahead format as long as it is aired AFTER the US broadcast. This is why Global airs Y&R at 4:30pm in the Eastern area and 3pm in the West. NTV (in the maritimes) also has a similar deal which they may get through Global for Y&R and DAYS.

It would throw a wrench in Global's schedule as they air the day aheads after 3 so they can still simulcast DAYS (in some areas) and ATWT.

• Members

Y&R and Passions Day Ahead episodes are pre-empted Friday according to online listings. That should mean that the US channels are pre-empting them on Monday, but only Y&R is pre-empted in the US on Monday- Passions is airing on Monday in the US. Of course, the listings could be wrong....

• Members

I am very happy about this.

I don't know if it will have much impact on ratings but it will add more to enjoying the show.

Spoilers should only be detailed enough to get people to watch, like in the old days. They should be both vague and enough to wet fan appetites to watch the show. There should be no clips or summaries out at all until an episode airs so people can't pick and choose when to watch. This will make them watch the whole show every day to make sure they don't miss whoever it is they want to see or whatever.

I do think this may help Days more then anyone. I know so many people on other boards who only read summaries or rely on the day ahead Canadian shows so they know when to watch and so on. I think it will help Days somewhat and, hopefully, Days and other shows will cut down on the rest of the spoilers next. They can still do mag covers and spoilers but don't reveal everything. Be more vague and just give out teasers-enough to entice people to watch. That's all.

I think this helps though. It can't hurt and, hopefully, other changes in regards to this issue are on the way.

• Members

I'm glad about the change. It's about time. I seriously feel that these day-ahead previews are part of the reason why the ratings are so low. People don't need to watch their soaps because they can read the entire episode on a Canadian-based website. I used to do it for DAYS all the time. Throughout the summer of 04, I would read the EE to make sure Jan/Shawn/Cage storyline wouldn't be on. When it was on, I would just read the previews and go out at 3 o'clock. I only watched when the cage story wasn't on and that wasn't a lot during that summer :(

UPGRADE to the soap world!

• Members

I too don't think this is real. When Global airs soaps at the same time as they're aired on US channels, it simply overrides the US channels. But since it's one channel showing several networks' soaps, and networks overlap, it obviously has to show some of them later. From what I understand, the point of the day ahead is to give viewers incentive to tune in to Global even though the shows are aired later - that way viewers don't simply watch them on the US channels earlier.

I don't see any reason that would change, unless they're going to start showing those shows at the US times and do day ahead with some of the other soaps. Regardless, I don't think it would have an effect on the ratings since those of us that read day ahead previews are a very small part of the overall viewers and the Nielsen households, as big as we may feel.

• Members

Well, the January 1st listings are showing on my tv screen right now and the Passions episode that is supposed to be the day ahead episode is still giving day ahead info...I really don't know why Passions isn't airing on Friday - at least with Y&R there's a reason (football on Monday on CBS).

There's a lot of conflicting info right now.

• Members

I think this is going to effect the Canadian ratings more so than the US ones. I think that was the whole reason beind it. "Watch Y&R at 4:30 instead of 12:30 and you can see tomorrow's!"

I still prefer the Canadian feeds for Days, Passions, B&B and Y&R. If I'm recording any of them for archiving, they all air without any on-screen advertisment during the episodes and with the original closing credits.

ATWT and GL are simulcast on Global affiliates, so we get the CBS advertising and network logo, plus another one in another corner for the affiliate, and closing credits made a year ago. AMC and OLTL are simulcast on various Chum affiliates and get the same treatment. I dont know what happens with GH and CTV. Neither of these are day-ahead, but I know many here would rather just watch the network feeds for these shows.

I'm definitely bummed by this. The can't-miss scenes to not forget to tape tomorrow thing being the main reason.

• Members

Most CTV stations have regular CTV credits with primetime promos with ABC's "On the next General Hospital" follow the (what seems like 2 minutes) of primetime commercials/credits. HOWEVER, the maritime CTV which airs GH on a one day delay (Noon eastern time) airs the original GH closing credits that SOAPnet airs (what I believe). The only problem is that they haven't been updated since last year (Alicia Leigh Willis is still present and "Maxie Jones" is spelt "Marie Jones" for some retarded reason).

Archived