• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

'24' makes its D.C. debut

Fox show to shoot outside of CA for first time

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Fox's "24" heads to Washington, D.C., today for the show's first-ever shoot outside California.

After setting the show in Los Angeles for the past six seasons, the "24" producers opted to shake things up by moving the action to the nation's capital. But that meant having to step out of town for the first time.

As a result, series star Kiefer Sutherland and several other thesps will make the trip, shooting scenes from eight different episodes over this weekend and the next.

"The idea is to sell Washington in the first batch of episodes and, hopefully, people will have bought into the setting later on," when more of the scenes are actually shot in L.A., said "24" exec producer Howard Gordon.

Show will shoot around the city, including in Georgetown neighborhoods. Gordon hopes to also capture a D.C. politician cameo or two.

While there, the "24" crew will also lense a lot of 180-degree backgrounds into which Sutherland and others can later be inserted via greenscreen. Gordon said the technology has finally gotten to a point where it looks seamless enough -- but it will still be a challenge given the frantic camera style that's a hallmark of the show.

"Some of the technology is amazing now," Gordon said. "You can insert actors onto the Washington Mall and do things you couldn't have done even a few years ago."

Line producer Michael Klick said shooting in D.C. has been a logistical challenge, particularly when it's come to navigating the city's countless law-enforcement agencies.

"There are at least 17 different entities out there -- and what they control is not always immediately apparent," he said.

Of course, "24" has encountered some unusual problems at its home base, too: The show had to scramble on Monday after wildfires halted production at the old El Toro Marine base. Show regrouped, but lost half a day worth of filming.

The Fox series will likely return to D.C. to shoot more scenes in the spring. In the meantime, Los Angeles will double for the first time on "24" as another city -- a prospect that has reinvigorated the production team.

"We're being forced to go to places we've never gone before, like downtown L.A., and we've been looking at older architecture," Klick said. "There have been some exciting visual opportunities."

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator

The first two episodes were slower than past season premieres, but I didn't mind that since they're introducing new characters. But the 3rd and 4th episodes kicked ass! I totally bought that Tony was bad, but when Jack called and we saw Bill and Chloe, and was like, "Yes!! Tony's working with them!!" Then I got excited when Jack had to break Tony out. The ending with the car stunt was amazing! "This is gonna hurt." :lol:

I really like Renee. She went all Jack Bauer there with the guy in the hospital.

I really missed this show so I'm glad it's back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey Troups,

For some reason I just wouldn't let myself believe that Tony was bad (we just had the 3rd hour here last Sunday night)

Now I am really wondering if there really is a leak in the FBI and exactly who it is. At first I thought it was that Shaun guy (did I get the name right), but I still may think that it is him. Otherwise my other two guesses would be are that girl with the glasses or even the boss.

I actually got the double agent in Season one right about hour 18.

Now from memory wasn't Chole pregnant at the end of the previous season and the father could have been her ex hubby??

Archived