The View/Rosie

Josh

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no idea what a Cracker is. I don't think we have Crackers in Canada. I can only assume that since Kirk said he's been called it, it's some reference to southern people?

Still, a word's just a word unless you give it the power to be something more.

• Members

Not if blacks realize there'd be more peace if they just ignored the word and, like Drew said, (at least, as it's my understanding), and ignoring those who use it. Don't use the word, don't get offended when someone else uses the word, and then it loses any power it ever had. If no one's offended by it, it's no longer a slur. If people realize that words are just words, and they themselves only mean something when we attach meanings to them, the problem would go away.

• Members

Racist white people don't go away. They just change forms. They go from being overt to subtle and back.

What I think you're not getting is that racial slurs are not just words. There is 400 years of hate, violence, domination, and death in those words. How on earth can you possibly fathom separating that from the word? You can't. It will ALWAYS be there. It is so easy to say "just ignore it, and it'll go away". It will never affect you the way it affects POC. Never. To be honest, don't worry about what's going on within the black community. It's really not your concern. Just know that it is NEVER okay for a white person to use it.

• Members

And if people ignore them, they don't go away, but they sure lose their power. OTherwise, you're just going to have people beating each other up and even more deaths than the ones racism would provide because a lot of fights do start over that word. I think the racism of yesteryears, to the magnitude that it was, burning crosses and all being commonplace, is a dead era.

• Members

Like hell!

I've never owned a slave, made people use separate bathrooms, go to separate schools, give up their seat on a bus for me, etc etc. Yet white people are made to feel constantly guilty for the actions of their ancestors, with comments like that above. Hate apparently is being passed down to new generations of both colours. Very sad.

Archived