The View/Rosie

Josh

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest, I don't care about your personal experiences. The reality is this, it is absolutely insensitive to just say "get over it" when the history is there. It's easy for you to say because it does not affect you, but it does affect the group that's the target of such remarks. Be aware of that, and be aware of the fact that there things that you, as a white person, just should not say.

It's not dead. It's just changed so that it's not overt because to be an overt racist is bad form.

• Members

I wouldn't presume to say we should "get over it", as those who do not learn from their history are doomed to repeat it.

But one certainly can HEAL, as a person or a community, and stop carrying so much hate around towards people that have done nothing towards you.

• Members

Thank you! You just have no idea, you really don't. If you could go back and live their lives and all the hell they had to go through! Can you imagine being sold off from your homeland and taken into a new world where you have no idea where you are and what could possibly happen. Being put down into a boat for weeks on end, no place to use the restroom, making living conditions on the boat unbearable, people jumping off board rather than facing the life that lies ahead, being beaten, raped, seperated from their families, being treated as property, not being allowed to marry, hung, just all sorts of things. Its apart of me, my history, something that I'm reminded of almost on a daily basis. So don't tell me to get over it cause you just don't have the damnest clue.

• Members

And in order to heal, the first thing that needs to be done is to listen and to understand. No "I see what you're saying, but..." statements or attempts to brush off the the feelings of the offended, which what was done repeatedly in the thread. Accept the fact that there are certain lines that you can't and shouldn't cross, without question.

Well, racism hasn't gone away. It's subtle, though the pendulum is swinging back to overt (see: Minutemen, the ban on AA in Michigan, an oh so lovely carol about AA). The reality is that racism has just been changed to suit the times. I'm not calling you, Mike, Drew, JSF, racists. Believe me, if I felt that you were I would've said it in no uncertain terms. I would not mince my words there.

• Members

I don't want to speak generally about the situation but to a point, I agree. The ERA of the extreme racism that we've seen in years past is gone, and quite likely will never return. What also should disappear is the unmentionable word and angry feelings associated with it. If the goal is peace, ignore the word, learn about the past but don't take extreme actions against those who practice racism. Ignore others' ignorance, since words are just words, unless you attach meanings to them and MAKE them powerful. People will never do it but if everyone agreed to just ignore the racist jerks and their words, that will diminish their power, and this problem eventually would go away. Maybe even the word.

• Members

Just because it's not overt doesn't mean that it is okay. It doesn't make it any less painful than overt racism. Why should I or any other POC let subtle racism go since that cuts just as deep if not more than overt racism? I know I can't change everyone's minds, but why should I stay silent? Why should I contribute to that ignorance by staying silent when I am offended by something (which, in this particular thread, was more about people's reaction to the fact that Asian groups were offended)?

Subtle racism, I will say without a shadow of a doubt, is a million times worse than overt racism. At least with the overt racists, I don't have to deal with them. I know what they think of me, so I'm not going to waste my time. The subtle stuff is more damaging because someone will downright insult your race without uttering a single slur, and do it while trying to be "friendly" to all POC.

JSF, I don't think you're going to understand this point, so I'm done right now.

Archived