The View/Rosie

Josh

• Members

I still disagree with you, I don't think what Rosie said was a big deal at all and wasn't offensive. I found it hilarious, it was just light hearted humor IMO. And I wasn't saying you were defensive, as a whole I am tired of people getting easily offended, that's all I am saying.

I do agree with you though on her not being able to take anything remotely offending gays very well.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with Rosie on this one. People need to stop being so damn P.C.

It's soon going to be 2007.

Some words, yes, are offensive but I don't see how ching chong was. It wasn't meant to be derogatory.

But yes, Rosie needs to also calm down and take it when gay remarks are made as well. She really kinda blows some things out of proportion (Kelly/Clay comes to mind instantly)

I still love Rosie. She's a breath of fresh air on The View.

• Members

I agree with Rosie too. Do people forget where she got her start? Stand up comedy! It would most likely be accepted for her to do that on stage, but not on the show?

This is SO not the Michael Richards mess. That was just wrong. Especially his tirade where he repeated it over and over.

PC has gone way too far....and we know who we have to thank for that. But its time for people to chill on certain things!

• Members

Ok after watching that video - I'm even more like "GMAFB and GET OVER IT!"

This is stupid - she wasn't using racial slurs or hateful words to describe a race....she was doing what every elementary school kid would do on a playground or any adult has done before at a party...just imitating the hard Chinese language that we cannot say. Everyone imitates languages and has fun doing it. We've seen this in plenty of movies - and even people making fun of the 'uptight' white speak.

GET OVER IT.

• Members

Newsflash people: It does not take an outright slur for a remark to be considered offensive. It's easy for you to say that people should just get over it, most of you are not racial minorities, so who are you to say what someone should and shouldn't get over. Ever stop for a second to think that maybe Asians and Asian-Americans find what Rosie did as racially disparaging as the use of the N-word towards black people?

• Members

Maybe...but I liken the whole situation to this:

I'm gay - but I don't get all upset if one my straight friends makes fun of the way gay people talk: "Like OMG, are you for REAL?". You know what I'm talking about. Now my friends know I don't talk like that, and not every gay person talks like that, but that is how people stereotypically talk when they imitate gay guys. It doesn't really bother me. Now if they threw around the term 'faggot' in my face in a hateful way...then I would have a problem.

That's just me.

• Members

Thank you!

Perfectly said!

I am white and just because I am not a minority doesn't mean I can't be discriminated against. I hear people say cracker all the damn time and I just laugh right along with them most of the time. Now its different if someone got in my face and started saying something like look at this white a.s.s cracker, then I would feel offended. I also hear comics make fun of how uppity, rich white people supposedly talk and I find it hilarious. That's why I find the Rosie ordeal hilarious, some may take offense to what she said but to those I say get over it.

• Members

Danni, I was just waiting for you to jump in. Are you saying because I am white I have no idea how minorities feel? In a way of course I don't, but I hear the word cracker used all the time so should I get all bent out of shape everytime I do hear that word. I am just tired of everyone having to be PC, its sickening to me how this country is becoming.

• Members
Yes.

Not really because cracker definitely does not have the same magnitude as slurs do against racial minorities. Seriously, are you going to get all that bent out of shape if someone calls you that? Are you somehow going to feel inferior in the overall social hierarchy? Not at all.

• Members

Thank you. Some people just don't have a clue when it comes to stuff like this. It is easy to tell someone to get over it but until it happens to them, then its a whole other issue. You would think that people, GROWN ASS PEOPLE would learn to be more polite towards other people but since it doesn't effect them and they are not in the minority, they don't understand, therefore its "okay" because they couldn't even begin to understand what its like being on the outside looking in.

• Members

This is an important debate. But lets not lose sight of who started it - Rosie O'donell - and she is not important. Not in the slightest.

Political incorrectness is not the same as discrimination. Discrimination, however, is the same as intolerance and there is no room for that in any society, regardless one feels that is ok for other to be intolerant towards them. One person's thick skin does not make up for another's thin skin to make slurring, racially or other wise, okay. It is never ok to slur because it takes any progress towards toleration back in light years. It can be inconvienent at times to hold up political correctness but that's not a heavy price to pay when you think of the tag pinned on a person (or group) who is actively discriminated against. I'd urge people to employ the smallest amount of diplomacy with a dash of self awareness.

And all together now... Rosie is not important.

• Members

So am I to be offended and whine and cry because Irish people are likened to a bunch of a drunks and I am part Irish? Or because Germans are called Nazis and I have German in me?

Yes, MOST of us know how it feels to be a minority in some way shape or form. Its not all skin color or nationality either.

I honestly think it is used more as a crutch than anything.

Archived