The View/Rosie

Josh

• Members

I'm wondering the same question as alwaysAMC. Yes, the word is highly offensive and should be used by no one, including black people, but black people continue to use the word. When black people use the word, they're usually referring to the other person in a non-offensive way. I understand that. But can't a white person have the same non-offensive intentions?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whoa, whoa, whoa... You're not going to go there with me. I've seen posts that you've made before. Don't pull that with me.

I was only going by observation on this thread. Someone mentioned the word. And based off of my own personal insight into the matter, I asked the question. I have a cousin, who is white, and has a lot of black friends. He grew up around them his whole life. My cousin uses the word when talking to his friends and they don't have a problem with it, seeing how they use the word when referring to each other. However, someone heard who was black heard my cousin say the word and got offended. He wasn't using the word in any offensive way. He was just saying what he always says, "What's up my *****?" As you wouuld predict, he got his ass handed to him.

If the word is that offensive (and I know that it is), why should anyone race be allowed to say it? By saying the word, isn't the black community lowering themselves?

• Members

I'm not talking about you, personally. I'm more or less talking about why the white community wants to use it. The gist is "Well, black people use it with each other, why am I not allowed to use it? I want to use it too!" The fact of the matter is that there are certain things that white people just shouldn't do and using the N word, either in slur or friend form, is one of them.

As I said, the black community's use of it is more an attempt to take back the word and diminish it's power. However, such a word won't ever diminish in power as long as racism is in existence, and that's not going away any time soon.

• Members

Where did I make it personal? I said that people have a right to be offended by what was said and to say "get over it" is insensitive. You guys took it upon yourself to make things personal, and I'm not going to back down.

Archived