The View/Rosie

Josh

• Members

Group not satisfied with Rosie's apology By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer

Thu Dec 14, 8:38 PM ET

NEW YORK - Rosie O'Donnell says she's sorry for mocking spoken Chinese on "The View," but an association that represents journalists from diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, including Chinese American, says it wasn't enough.

In a Dec. 5 segment, O'Donnell joked about how Danny DeVito's recent — and seemingly drunken — appearance on the ABC daytime talk show had become international news.

"You know, you can imagine in China it's like `ching chong, ching chong chong, Danny DeVito, ching chong chong chong, drunk, "The View," ching chong,'" the 44-year-old comedian said.

On Thursday's show, she told the audience: "To say ching chong to someone is very offensive, and some Asian people have told me it's as bad as the n-word. Which I was like, `Really? I didn't know that.'"

Karen Lincoln Michel, president-elect of Unity: Journalists of Color Inc., said O'Donnell's remarks "really didn't sound like an apology to me."

Lincoln Michel said Unity was waiting for Barbara Walters, who created the show, to respond to a letter asking her to publicly acknowledge that O'Donnell's remarks were "patently offensive."

"I think by allowing Rosie O'Donnell's cheap jabs at Chinese Americans to go unchecked, then the network is essentially condoning racial and ethnic slurs," Lincoln Michel told the AP in a phone interview.

Unity said it represents more than 10,000 journalists nationwide.

"You know it was never (my) intent to mock," O'Donnell said on Thursday's show, "and I'm sorry for those people who felt hurt or were teased on the playground."

"But I'm also gonna give you a fair warning that there's a good chance I'll do something like that again, probably in the next week — not on purpose. Only 'cause it's how my brain works."

O'Donnell characterized her accent as "Chinese, Asian, pseudo-Japanese, sounded a little Yiddish ..."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. "Unity" is SO going overboard with this. SHUT UP, people! This is ridiculous. Frankly, I didn't know that "ching chong, ching chong" was so offensive. And, I'm sorry, but anyone who can actually equate that to the "N" word better check themSELVES, because ABC would have bleeped it if it were so offensive. Also, frankly, I think this group just wants free press. It's insane. There is another "c" word, I believe, that IS derogatory to Chinese people, but it ain't this "chinG, chong, chinG, chong" crap.

I'm with Rosie on this one. Consider her background, too. People from that kind of blue collar background just say whatever they want and don't realize, sometimes, that they don't really know where they picked that vocabulary up or where they got an expression from. Actually, anyone can be a sponge, but unless you're schooled in etiquette or rich (and schooled in etiquette), you may not know when to think before you speak. Rosie has demonstrated that she's like that.

LAY OFF OF HER.

• Members

My mom taught me etiquette, but I am my own person and I like to say whatever the heck I want. Of course there are places and times where I need to be on my best behavior, but I just feel like today people shy away from what they truly want to say just so they don't get a backlash of some offended group.

• Members

Yeah I side with Rosie on this one! You know there is a line people shouldn't cross. We were raised to know that the "N" word was a horrible, awful word that should never be spoken...but I agree I have never heard anything about this "Ching Chang" stuff and I am sure Rosie is not the first person on TV or in the media to use it.

• Members

What gets me about her is that she will go out on a tyrade if someone said something about the gay community and quickly label someone homophobic but let her do something and her response is to "get over it?" GMAB! What she did was out of line and shouldn't have gone there. Its called being considerate to your fellow man. You may not find it offensive but then again you are not in their shoes so you couldn't possibly understand what it is like.

• Members

Sorry, but I disagree. People make fun of white people all the time who aren't white and they don't know what its like to walk in white people's shoes either. I don't get all defensive and try to form a group because someone made a comment how white people talk geeky constantly. People just like to blow lots of things out of porportion these days IMO.

• Members

No one is getting defensive, I'm just simply telling the truth. If she can dish it out, she should be able to take it. No one should make fun of anybody despite their race because it is rude. It is called being sensitive to other people and their culture. Maybe next time she should think before speaking. She should know that with all the controversy around that Kramer dude that making comments are not a good idea. She needs to keep her mouth shut for once in her life. No one is taking nothing out of proportion, its just idiots like Rosie who feel they have a free pass to say whatever the hell they want when they want.

Archived