Days: SOD info

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just about to post this dawn as I saw it over there too so I guess people can just use the link and find out the details. I wish we could find the whole article somewhere because this Hogan interview sounds amazing and I love everything he is saying. He knows it is a supercouple show, wants to write it fast paced, loves Lumo, loves Bope, loves Abe and Lexie, basically wants to make Marlena what she was in the 70's and 80's, loves MBE and Steve and Kayla, etc. Hogan is going to be so great and I love how happy he is to be there and his comment about how Days is so different then ATWT in terms of popularity was interesting. He even called Days a great franchise. I can't wait to read the full interview.

I also liked what he said about Philip abd making him like Victor and about connecting the young people with the older characters again. Since Brandt is out on Sept 20 and Cook is out on the 21st I would think the Claire reveal will take place like a week before then. Can't wait to see Chelsea get arrested and J&J's fantasy.

I like Rhassan being back on contract. I have really enjoyed him this week and he is a good actor when given materal. I think he will be a part of the big Abe/Lexie story Hogan has for later on obviously.

I feel bad for Billy. I beleive he says in his interview that he began thinking around Nov why they even brought him back. When he first returned, he said he didn't want to come between J&J because it was so limiting and it would hurt his character and now look where he is. JER really screwed up there by wasting him like that. I wish him the best of luck.

I can't wait to read all this for myself. Sounds more detailed then the fall previews as now we are hearing his whole plans for Days.

• Members

I thought I would make it easier for you all and for all of us to discuss and just post the paraphrased stuff from the interview. Credit goes to TerriLLuvsDanGsKevin at Soapzone for all this. This is kinda long so bare with me (I hope this is ok with the mods to post this as I am giving credit :) ).

He says his agent told him a rumor that Ken Corday was making a change. He felt that JER had a lock on this job. It was an immediate YES when he was offered! It was done with 3 weeks and he moved across the country from NYC.

He calls DAYS the best franchise in daytime and has the most loyal viewership

He says that when you mention ATWT people say "Is that show still on the air?" But when you mention DAYS, you get "Put Bo & Hope together again....make Sami bad again..."

He said he had friends and relatives finally admit to watching it for years after he got the job. Says Corday is lucky!

He would occasionally check it out, but never watched. The show sent him 20 dvds to get him caught up with stuff and history.

Decided to start with grounding Marlena. She's an icon and should be the matriarch. He wants to make her a doctor and a real person again because so much revolves around her.

We're going back to emotional soap with a lot of story."

He's thrilled to have MBE on the show. He's got a secret crush on her that's not so secret. He used to tell her that on ATWT.

He says core audiences can relate to old romantic stuff and flashbacks and Patch/Kayla can give that.

He calls Sami great, and says that DAYS has so many great characters and it's just a matter of redefining them.

For example: Phillip.

He says he had no clue that Phillip had a fake leg because it's never been treated with the seriousness he thinks it deserves. He feels that Phillip should be working his way towards being Victor. He should be distant and affected by all that's happened to him, but currently you don't see that.

It's about setting up the younger generation to accept power from the older.

He's reminded that DAYS is a "THE supercouple show" and asked if he'll keep it that way.

He says the line about aliens already quoted, and that he writes a fast paced show, that focuses on the emotional core and that couples fit right in with that.

"Love love love Bo and Hope, Sami and Lucas,and Abe and Lexie. We're going to be revisiting all these couples again."

Says there's been so much back and forth that it loses meaning. You're missing out on the angst and the longing, the ache for somebody.

Says he thinks Darin Brooks (Max) is a stud. Really good looking guy that makes the women in the crew swoon. So he asked, "Why is he dating his neices?"

The response was that there were no Hortons, just Bradys. He feels that was unhealthy. He knows Max is adopted, but still...

"If I had an adopted brother and he was dating my child, I'd ice-pick him to death".

He feels Max is a guy destined for supercoupledom.

He admits he did some bad stuff at ATWT, but said one of the best things he did was to use the surrounding characters. He mentions Lauren Koslow (Kate) and says that she's gonna be central to a lot of stuff. He will try and avoid repeating ATWT stories on DAYS. Doesn't want people comparing.

What about the gloved hand?

He says it's just a soap trick. Just don't milk it too long. He's working on exposing what that's all about. He wants the audience to know who's doing it first, then for the story to unfold. He says it's weird cause there's no "romantic tilt" to it, but that it's upset some of the romantic pairings.

"But the central story itself is kind of a shaggy dog story, and it's just been going on way too long. And it's so confusing."

His stuff will air in October. Right now BEth Millstein has the helm, and you can see some changes already.

Better cohesion. Plots that make sense.

He says one of the first eppys he watched was back in June of Abe and Roman (police guys) discussing their love lives not trying to catch the bad guys. He says that would never happen, and the first order is "hand the men back their penises because strong men are better for the women."

Says you can't have women doing whatever, and the men just doing nothing.

"So we'er gonna use the history , make the men strong and let the women run amok. There's your formula."

He will NOT introduce new families. Says that there has been an erosion of the Hortons, so that now everyone's a Brady and there's incest. First thing was to find some Hortons who are in their late teens/early 20s.

"...but I have no desire to bring in my own family. I think that's despicable. I really do."

Says audience doesn't have investment in new families.

The biggest challenge is bringing the audience back and making sure they have faith. No one's going to have year long secrets. He wants the audience to be in on stuff before the characters, so that they're anticipating the character's responses.

Says if he can bring the audience back, he'll be a happy man.

Says that HUMOR is missing too. Wants to take Sami and Lucas back to when they were funny.

Regarding Emmys, he likes getting them but hates the show. However, he would LOVE to win one for Ken Corday, cause this was his family's show and he feels that it's been treated "neglectfully".

What kind of town is Salem going to be on your watch?

"What you're going to see is a real town with real family connections again. I want to give it a real sense of a real place that's familiar to everybody and where the audience tuns in and it's putting on an old pair of slippers."

http://www.soapzone.com/boards/read.php/days/main/12525

I just loved his comments about Max and his nieces and about there being no new families. He sounds almost too good to be true.

• Members

Great minds think alike Phoenix ... LOL, but here's a smaller recap.

* He wants to make Philip a young Victor (thank GOD)

* He says Kate will be a central character (yay).

* He loves Lumi, Bope, Abe/Lexie

* Doesn't want to repeat mistakes he made on ATWT

* Doesn't want to repeat ATWT stories

* He loves Darin Brooks (Max) and is ending the incest

* Wants to bring on more Hortons (younger ones, of course)

* Refuses to bring on new families, saying it's not respectful

* Obviously he loves Mary Beth Evans and Nichols

* Wants to make Marlena the new matriarch and have her be the character she was in the 70s and 80s

* Accepted the job the second he was offered and it took only 3 weeks to seal the deal

* Wants to win an Emmy for the Cordays

* He doesn't write "aliens and demonic posessions"

* He thinks he used supporting characters well at ATWT (I kinda disagree)

* Rhasaan on contract; Billy out; Beemer is nuShawn; Brandt last airs 9/20, Ashford & Reeves 9/21 and Cook 9/22.

* Majority of his stuff begins in October

Unfortunately, no mention of Billie (Julie Pinson), Roman, Chelsea, Stephanie and Abby, but that's nothing to be worried about, IMO.

• Members

:lol: Thanks Krypton. Now we have two recaps so people feel free to choose :lol: .

I am not worried about their being no mention of Abby, Stephanie, and Chelsea as we saw them mentioned in Fall previews but I am not worried about there being no Billie. Also, Roman not being mentioned and the fact that Hogan beleives there are too many Brady's makes me wonder how long he will be around.

• Members

Well, this explains Tek back in a big way. Guess he is going to be redeemed.

All this sounds good to me. Too bad he has a whole year of deplorable wrecking to bring back together. I wish Kyle could have stayed as Philip and there was no mention of recasting, but that seems evident.

Great to know Beemer is now Shawn for a fact. It will be a huge change. Just his height alone will be so different, much less eye color.

Wow, am I excited LOL.

• Members

see i have a funny feeling that Corday is going to have the final say a while back in an interview he was all about bringing back Kim and SHane more Bradys........and H. wants to bring back more HORTONS which i have been saying for years...(is vivian an horton yet)

now we could have brought back Mike, does he not know that LUcas is a Horton which would mean his son is too and whoever marries him....who are the Hortons.....

-Sandy, Laura, Bill, Mickey, Melissa, Mike, Sarah, Jeremy, Tommy JR, Addie, Marie?? i dont even know if there is some more little Hortons running around...

• Members

One thing I am reminded of...

He said he loved some characters at ATWT- but that 'love' didn't always translate into a storyline for them. I wish I could remember examples, I just have a recollection of some fans being upset by that. Maybe it was Hal or Tom and Margo fans.

Still I am cautiously optimistic....

I feel a lot better than I did when I read about the Billie-Steve angle they are "trying". I wish Hogan had said more about Steve/Nick...mentioned the Billie thing at least....told us what he thinks about Steve and Kayla.

I do adore that Hogan mentioned his crush on Mary Beth , But I am concerned that he didn't have much more to say about S&K other than them providing "flashbacks and old romantic stuff"

I hope he is still developing their story for the present tense (and that it's equally as romantic and character-driven as the "old flashbacks")

SO GLAD Max & Stephanie will be over....that was so skeevy!

If he doesn't bring in a new family: who will they pair up with Stephanie for example?

All in all, I am excited to see what he has in store for Days. I let out a huige sigh of relief....I feel a lot better now about the direction of the entire show...

Guess I am gonna have to hang tight and just trust the guy

• Members

Well, Abby is a half Horton, so the more young Horton´s line can be easily applied to her. And I´m so happy that Max will no longer try to date Stephanie and/or Chelsie. I think Max sort of falling for Mimi will be a setup phase for his real relationship with Abby. I mean, she is so younger than he. He probably isn´t even looking at her that way.

• Members

Sheffer: First of all, I don't write aliens and demonic possession. We're going back to emotional soap with a lot of story. I tell story very fast, but more important, the emotional core of the story is very important and that goes along with the couples. Love, love, love Bo and Hope, Sami and Lucas, and Abe and Lexie. We're going to be revisiting all these couples again. There been so much back and forth and after a while it loses meaning because there's no emotional weight attached to it. You don't have the deep longing that you need, the ache for somebody and that's what we want to get back to with the supercouples, and hopefully create a few more.

Sigh, nice.

BTW, I get the impression Kyle's last TAPE-DATE is 9/20, not air-date.

Archived