Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAS0N47

DAYS: "Days" vet removed from credits...

26 posts in this topic

I honestly wouldn't want Days to do Alzheimer's, it's just too hard too watch. My grandma had dementia and it's something that tears you up inside watching them suffer from that :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandma had dementia too. I was personally glad they took away Alzheimer's from Caroline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said upthread, I understand why Josh Griffith would undo Caroline's disease.  But it DOES seem funny to me how he would take away an Alzheimer's diagnosis from Caroline, yet give Y&R's Nikki multiple sclerosis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Khan said:

He did?  I've haven't watched DAYS consistently in such a long time, so I had no idea.

 

But I could understand why JG undid her diagnosis.  As of right now, Alzheimer's Disease is manageable with medication, but it isn't curable, so unless they had it in mind to kill off Caroline at the end, IDK how they could have kept her alive and on the canvas in that condition indefinitely.

 

Also, in order to do such a storyline justice, you have to depict how the disease ravages the mind and body over time, and not only might that be too hard for viewers to watch, I wouldn't trust DAYS (or any soap) to handle the story honestly and sensitively.

 

If she's ever up for a return, then I'm sure DAYS will find some way to make it happen.  But if not, then I also trust them to give her a proper send-off.  Because, aside from maybe Stefano/Joe Mascolo, it seems DAYS has a pretty good track record in this department.

I would have preferred  for Caroline to die than for her last scene to be some random conversation with Theresa last summer.

 

I also prefer when the show deals with a real disease and not some made up disease which the character is miraculously cured from. That's just another reason (one of many) why soaps are a joke these days. Nothing is real, nothing has stakes, no real drama. It really is like a cartoon world.

 

Peggy had some really good scenes back in 2012 when Caroline first started showing signs of Alzheimer's.

Edited by Sindacco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Khan said:

Like I said upthread, I understand why Josh Griffith would undo Caroline's disease.  But it DOES seem funny to me how he would take away an Alzheimer's diagnosis from Caroline, yet give Y&R's Nikki multiple sclerosis.

I thought that was Jean and Shelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sindacco said:

I would have preferred  for Caroline to die than for her last scene to be some random conversation with Theresa last summer.

 

I don't know, I think it would be cruel to ask a longtime cast member who's in the twilight of their lives to play their character's death out on screen. I understand that it might be dramatically more satisfying -- but I would be deeply offended (and extremely uncomfortable) if, for instance, they forced Bill Hayes to play his death and made Susan Hayes "act" the fallout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, teplin said:

 

I don't know, I think it would be cruel to ask a longtime cast member who's in the twilight of their lives to play their character's death out on screen. I understand that it might be dramatically more satisfying -- but I would be deeply offended (and extremely uncomfortable) if, for instance, they forced Bill Hayes to play his death and made Susan Hayes "act" the fallout. 

They killed off Stefano when Joe was battling with alzheimer's IRL. Although it seems like Joe wanted to leave by that time.

 

But they don't have to kill off every character. They could have had Caroline move to California but with an actual goodbye episode. A farewell party at the pub, or something, anything. I just want characters to exit on-screen and not fade away and one day hear from another character that they moved.                       

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, teplin said:

 

I don't know, I think it would be cruel to ask a longtime cast member who's in the twilight of their lives to play their character's death out on screen. I understand that it might be dramatically more satisfying -- but I would be deeply offended (and extremely uncomfortable) if, for instance, they forced Bill Hayes to play his death and made Susan Hayes "act" the fallout. 

 

I agree. I think a lot of the actors love coming into work, even if their health isn't the greatest. It gives them purpose, fulfillment, etc.  I say use them while they're still with us and able to. I don't mind if the character eventually fades out and only referred to as being off-camera.  Now, in the cases where you have someone like Frank Parker (Grandpa Shawn) or John Clarke (Mickey) who happily decide to retire from acting, then I say it's okay to write in an onscreen death/farewell with the actor. JMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gray Bunny said:

 

I agree. I think a lot of the actors love coming into work, even if their health isn't the greatest. It gives them purpose, fulfillment, etc.  I say use them while they're still with us and able to. I don't mind if the character eventually fades out and only referred to as being off-camera.  Now, in the cases where you have someone like Frank Parker (Grandpa Shawn) or John Clarke (Mickey) who happily decide to retire from acting, then I say it's okay to write in an onscreen death/farewell with the actor. JMO. 

Frank Parker did not choose to retire. The show fired him for storyline reasons.

Edited by Sindacco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sindacco said:

Frank Parker did not choose to retire. The show fired him for storyline reasons.

 

Ah. Well. Strangely, no one batted an eye. I guess viewers didn't have much of a soft spot for ol' Grandpa Shawn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truth be told, I've never been AS enamored with the Bradys as other fans (aside from Wayne Northrop's Roman, Mary Beth Evans' Kayla, and Patsy Pease's Kimberly) although I DO recognize their importance both to the show and to its core audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.