ajsp35801

Y&R: Cane and Lily's twins Soras'd to teens

146 posts in this topic

They could just off Lily finally if they won't recast Khalil. We have a much more compelling character in Hillary anyway. Not that it should be one or the other but still ... it frees up Lily playing mom to someone who clearly isn't 16

1 hour ago, KMan101 said:

They could just off Lily finally if they won't recast Khalil. We have a much more compelling character in Hillary anyway. Not that it should be one or the other but still ... it frees up Lily playing mom to someone who clearly isn't 16

Uh uh. Don't kill Lily so that the too old actress you cast can look more believable. Seems backwards. Lol 

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Her hair yes, but she clearly isn't 16 lol! This is so sick and hilarious. I truly can't wait to see how this goes.

That top screams first job at an office after college.

You know what, I always said I wouldn't support Y&R as long as CK is on there but I can't miss this storyline plot. I have to see CKLily being mother to kids that look like they could be her actual siblings.

Edited by MoTheGreat

On 4/17/2017 at 0:25 PM, All My Shadows said:

I didn't know that about RH, but it makes a lot of sense, especially considering they didn't they have their characters popping out babies year after year after year.

I've heard the necessary evil argument for SORAS many times, but I still have to respectfully disagree. The UK soaps have largely managed to avoid SORAS over the years, and it's never presented any real issues. You can either look at it as waiting for the kids to grow up in real time or continuing to write storylines for their parents/grandparents, who, in most cases, are still viable characters and able to carry story. This doesn't mean all the soaps needed to go through a period where everyone's either a teenager or in their 40s - you keep creating new characters and weaving them into the show as needed.

It's just absolutely ridiculous that Alison Sweeney left DAYS playing grandmother. She was 40 years old and basically headed to the back burner. And we all know the biggest example would be poor Patricia Bruder from ATWT. She was in her 30s all throughout the 1970s and was stuck playing grandmother while actresses several years older than her (Kathryn Hays and Eileen Fulton, looking at y'all!) were driving story after story after story as romantic leads. Never mind the fact that the actors playing her own sons were all several years older than her, too! It's extremely embarrassing for the entire genre that SORAS is not only accepted but expected.

Completely agree with everything in this post (well, I can't speak to the UK soaps but will assume that's correct). I know there isn't budget to bring in too many characters in the "in-between" years of childhood and late teens when it becomes supposedly easier to write but I think SORASing is generally lazy writing. There have been exceptions where it's worked and the age differences between parent and child aren't as jarring as this will be, but IMO that's more the exception than rule. I'll never forget 30-year old Betsy referring to 50-year old Ellen as "grandma" in the late '80s!

This is absolute insanity and I can't WAIT to see how terribly it turns out.

I think there's an in-between with SORASing that works. If a character is supposed to be, say, 11 or 12, and then they cast an actor to play 16, whatever. You're just kind of eclipsing a few years, and especially if the parents are old enough to have a kid that age, fine. That makes sense to me. It's when they completely screw with timelines that it becomes damaging. 

And folks scoffed at the "vain" Knots Landing ladies with their no-grandbaby clauses in their contracts...

That pilot tho?? I. CAN'T.