YRBB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Not feeling it.  This unsmiling, glum Superman does nothing for me.   I know the director is pretending this is the true Superman but he is lying.   They just have this bizarrro vision that all the characters should pretend they are Batman, and find color scheme costumes to match.    Wonder Woman is in line with this thinking, and of course Wonder Woman will basically be Batwoman.  

The Atlantic recently published an essay on Superman.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/02/the-trouble-with-superman/435408/

• Members

This has been the case for many years now. Superman was supposed to represent the best of America, while Batman represented the darkest elements. As America became more introspective, and then increasingly self-loathing and shallow and "edgy" (late '60s turning to '70s turning to '80s to '90s and so on), Superman became a nonfactor or a hybrid (compare the '50s TV Superman, which was very much about him, with Lois & Clark, which was about the group and the love story of Lois & Clark, or Smallville, which was actively terrified of Clark ever actually becoming Superman - even in the last shot they wouldn't really show him in costume). It's funny, because I thought that Marvel might have the same problem with Steve Rogers, but they never really did, somehow. 

Archived