Y&R: October 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another thing i noticed is that they are starting to do scene transitions like they did on GH, there were some moments were one of the characters said something and it was all quiet, and they quickly cut to another scene. (If that makes sense)

The scenes between Kevin,Heather,Daniel and Chloe are totally JFP which you will see tommorrow.

• Members

of course! I wish i still had all those.

Ah, the famous, rediculous, not really there but its talked about so much people think it is clause. I love those.

Sami's double slap of Nicole after the baby swap was beautiful.

And yes, I think kate slapped sami, sami slapped her back, and then kate smacked her again.

• Administrator

There was also one scene that faded to black with silence, there was no background music at all. I didn't approve of that. It just looked weird. It's a scene close to the end with Paul talking to Ronan.

• Members

UK soaps (well Corrie, Eastenders, and Emmerdale) use none, and I've never found it to be a problem, but those shows have a different structure anyway.

There was a scene on Monday's US episode with Nick and Sharon at the police station that also didn't have any background music, when normally it would've, that's the first time I've noticed it.

But also, they've been using some cues in recent episodes that haven't been used in a while.

• Administrator

That is so 1950's and UK soaps. tongue.png There's a place and time for no BGM but it just looked weird with that Paul/Ronan scene. Paul tells Ronan to follow him - fade to black with silence. Really? Come on, Jill. LOL

• Administrator

I never liked that about UK soaps. I like my US soaps to go to commercial with BGM, unless it's a really intense/dramatic/sad scene where silence lets the scene stand by itself.

I really hope Jill keeps the music directors and composers.

• Members

The music team is staying.

But this is Jill, who has a music background herself, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the existing cues were revamped or she had some new ones created.

I've never been a fan of Dominic Messinger, but he's an FOJ, so it wouldn't be surprising if he joined in some capacity.

I also heard that Mary O'Leary finally arrived. The next two months are going to be interesting to see on-screen, Jill has changed and streamlined a lot of things.

I've heard many of the crew/technical people were initially resistant to her lighting revamp, shows how lazy they'd become. No one was getting any feedback or push under Maria's tenure, where she basically let Tony Morina run most of the day to day, which Jill wasn't having when she came on.

• Members

I haven't watched Eastenders in awhile but I seem to recall that they don't use background music (other than if someone is actually playing music) and it works well for them.

I don't know though, I think U.S. audience might be very resistent to such a change-- they'd probably burn the Exec. Producer in effigy or something.

At one point, many moons ago, music was used effectively. Now it just seems as if it is meant to replace the emotion of decent written scenes.

Prime time shows sometimes over use the overlay of music too (*coughs Grey's Anatomy/Scandal).

Actually I just went to You Tube to refresh my memory on Eastenders to discover that there is quite a bit of music since many scenes take place in pubs and other places where music is inadvertently being played.huh.png Still, it retains a realistic quality by using music pumped in from stereo systems. Still, unlike Eastenders, I don't see Y&R pumping in Beyonce or Rihanna in an episode-- wonder how Eastenders manages this.unsure.png

• Members

Good for Jill. (Wait, did I just say that?) If what we've been seeing on-screen from a technical standpoint was the result of Tony Morina's influence, then he should have been shitcanned a long time ago. Say what you will about even Papa Bell's style of storytelling, but I always felt Y&R was one of the classier-produced soaps around. Now it's just a POS.

Give them tightly written scenes and they won't give a damn. It's that simple.

• Members

I'd like to think this is the case Khan but I've visited certain messageboards and read posts by some posters screaming for the return of MAB (I saw some posts like this on SOC and just sighed) and I have to wonder how truly resistant some soap fans are to change, even change for the better.

I do agree though that if the writing were good on these shows, no one would give much of a damn and except for a few who complain about everything anyway.

Well written episodes would probably also diminish those infernal fanbases. One could only hope (anyone notice how fanbases have gotten louder in the last few years that the writing has gotten worse and worse?)

Archived