Skins

AllMyDaysatGH

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gauging reactions on Facebook, it seems the general thing was that people tuned in because of the commercials and the fact that it was on after JS (you know, "Let's just make a night of it"), weren't very impressed, and made no effort to tune in again. I wonder how many people will be looking for it after JS on Thursday. MTV's foolish for not keeping the two together.

I remember they kept saying Skins US would be set in Baltimore, but I guess not.

I think that's one of the big things they really needed to take into consideration in making a US show, since the lexicon and "realism" (quotes because I've been calling BS on ANY version of Skins being terribly realistic since I started watching it) are soooo important to the show. The UK is so small, they can set it in one corner of the country and still be somewhat of a catch-all in the relatability department for most viewers. Here...not so much.

I really wish they had gone across the entire country talking to teens from all over instead of just working with NYC kids.

• Members

Thank you! I told a friend, who was a fan of the UK one, that it would be set in Baltimore, and then felt foolish as I couldn't find where I read that.

I think that's a fair point about using only NYC kids (plus if the goal wasn't to set it in a huge city, then why use kids from there? I just don't quite get the logic...)

They are, though with blog and facebook culture, particularly with "young 'uns" (God I feel old), I think they spread faster than ever.

• Members

Watched the 2nd episode and I thought it was a lot more interesting than the first. I like how it mostly centered on just one character and their S/L. This one was about Tea and I really liked it. I love her & I am so amazed at how different this Actress is on Skins than she was over on AMC. The writing really does make a difference, her character Bailey on AMC was such a bore. I didn't care when she left but now after seeing her on Skins I kind of think of it as a loss for the show now. I see why they hired her, they just didn't utilize her in the right way at ALL!!

I find the Tea lesbian storyline to be fresh and riveting. Loving it so far.

I think it is a mistake for the show not to follow after Jersey Shore anymore. They could've at least put it on Tuesday's after Teen Mom 2 (which is pretty popular, not as much as JS, but still. I think the show would have more of a chance of being watched by more people).

• Members

I dunno that may be giving her too much credit--I think she was atrocious on AMC. Of course this is a year later--also I've found often that newbies who don't do well on soaps do much better in primetime or even movies--where they are given much more direction, much more time to learn lines, many more rehearsals, more takes for each scene, often have quicker scenes, etc.

If this follows the UK formula, and it sounds like it will (I've not seen ep 2 yet), each season they do kinda start off with an introductory episode for the major cast, and then whole everyone's little stories have little bit sof development each week, each week till the finale tends to focus on one or sometimes two characters, and then a new character the next week, etc.

• Members

Okay, so...When this show started I was only about halfway through Season One of the British Version. So, I thought the US one was good.

Now, being that I am farther into the British version, I realize what a MISTAKE the US version was. They very well could have done an adaptation of the show, but making a carbon copy of the original was a huge mistake. It's not as edgy or fun as the original, and it just falls flat.

I still think it's an OK show, but they made a huge mistake copying episode per episode. Maybe if the show finds its feet they can drift into their own storylines. That's about the only thing I think could save the show.

• Members

I'm still watching and I find it quite enjoyable. I like the character of Chris & the actor playing him. So far there have been episodes about him & Tea and I like both. This shows dialogue centers way to much around sex though...like, almost every word out of someone's mouth is about it. I guess that's not to unrealistic though, considering that is kind of what most people this age talk & think about.

Wow! I have never heard that before..that's interesting, maybe I'm not as in touch with things as I thought...LOL

I think they should move it to Tuesday's instead. Switch Teen Mom 2's slot to 9pm & then have it followed by Skins at 10pm.

• Members

I share this sentiment. Skins tries so damn hard to be edgy and the show falls flat with these lame one dimensional characters. I mean, I love the production of the show, but the most of casting is awful, the stories are uninspired, the plot is stereotypical. This makes Undressed look like award-winning material.

• Members

You know what, I read or saw an interview from Sofia where she said that AMC wanted her to make the move but she wanted to stay in NYC and finish high school. I'm only watching for Sofia/Tea and Rachel/Michelle since they're the main ones I like. I also like Stanley -- he amuses me. The rest is just so hard to get into.

Oh bellcurve don't make me cry for the awesomeness that was Undressed ( I really love that there's a website that has all S1 eps up -- relive The Fearsome Foursome!) and Spyder Games. I miss old school MTV.

Archived