Venice The Series: First Promo, Thoughts?

• Members

Does anyone plan on watching this? I have to say this is much better quality than I anticipated, it looks better than some of the soaps.

I wish we would have heard some of the dialogue though. I'm going to check it out since I think this is likely the future of soaps (online that is).

Any thoughts on the promo?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My brother's new hard drive video camera looks better than the GL production model!

I don't think it really gives any more/less to the frenzied about it. I'm still waiting to see actual dialogue, cause right now it just looks like a musical montage from a bad lifetime movie.

Not surprised that those clamoring for it love every second---I kinda think that regardless of how this really is, CC has surrounded herself with fans who praise every moment religiously, and so it's going to be a home run in their eyes.

• Members

This looks to me a lot like one of those commercials for medicines where they then attack you with a list of side effects worse than any affliction. Maybe the cast should shill for bone density pills or something. Venice may cause bloating, nausea, headaches, swollen extremities and nosebleeds. Please consult your doctor.

• Members

It's pretty sad when a webshow shot in a week or less looks better than a 72 year old show that was on a major network's lineup but I think the difference is the interiors here appear to be shot in real buildings not cardboard sets like alot of GL's interiors became under the new production model. The outdoor scenes don't look that much different.

I hate the no dialogue, music-montage approach. I'm not asking that they give alot away but I hate knowing absolutely nothing about something that I'm expected to watch. This looks like an Otalia fan-video plucked from Youtube.

I think there's a real danger in putting together a vanity project like this. CC hiring friends and colleagues was a workable plan when she was at GL, whose cast was uniformly solid and worked well together in various combinations with only a few notable exceptions. Days cast is different. Their cast is mostly mediocre with only a few exceptions and CC has picked up two of the worst of them, Nadia Bjorlin and Galin Gerring. Bjorlin's a replacement for another actor who backed out and Gerring is playing a role that was planned for Daniel Cosgrove and then the even more talented Jeff Branson. Talk about a monumental step-down and it looks like he's paired with Gina Tognoni?! She'll make mincemeat out of him in any scene requiring actual acting unless she has her talent tied behind her back. And the most prominent fellow GL castmate shown is Jessica Leccia? Huh?! I know this show is pandering to the Otalia fans but JL is a mediocre actress on her best days. On her worst, she's downright laughable especially when there's an accent involved. Tognoni would've been a far better choice as the second leading lady, not what appears to be the supporting role of CC's character's sister-in-law. I know JL has said that her Venice character is nothing like Natalia and I hope that's true but given JL's limited range, I'm not sure it even matters what's on the page if she can't deliver anything else. Seeing her whining on a cellphone while dragging dry-cleaner bags in the wind did nothing to set this new character apart from PeapackNatalia for me at all. Plus, Leccia will be paired with Bjorlin's character? Wow, can you imagine what their dates are gonna be like? Contests to see who can stare blankly and emotionlessly off into space the longest? Or who can whine until the other's ears bleed? :rolleyes:

Exactly. It almost doesn't even matter whether it's objectively any good or not. The target audience for this show already loves it and hasn't even seen it. No matter what happens, they'll talk themselves into loving every minute. The Otalias are the new Trekkies and CC's gonna milk that blind devotion for everything it's worth.

I'm not sure that this is renovation or innovation for soaps as much as it's a step backward. Is being a niche of a sub-genre isolated into it's own tiny little world a viable future for the serial format?

LMFAO.gifLMFAO.gifLMFAO.gif

• Members

Frankly I don't see how traditional soaps can go any farther backwards than they are now.

I look at it this way. There are going to be more of these niche websoaps. I see them like independent film. Most of them are going to suck but some of them are going to do good stuff and sooner or later one of them is going to do something really notable and "cross over." So yes, I consider this innovation or more accurately, evolution.

Archived