Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is an interesting article on Lisa Murkowski.  I lived in Anchorage for a short time, but I haven't kept up with the politics there.  It's sort of touching that the Alaskan Bush People learned to spell her name (and practiced writing it) and that she's made a point of not betraying them. Also a reminder of how dirty politics can be with Mitch McConnall trying to buy her off (something called the Kodiak Kickback)  and we aren't even sure he's failed yet.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/27/16030520/murkowski-republican-health-bill

Then another article about Trump threatening to screw over the entire state of Alaska because of the healthcare vote.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-threatens-isolate-alaska-093409489.html

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Between the Joint Chiefs saying they aren't going to change anything about their policies regarding transgender soldiers and all this mess with Lisa Murkowski and also the Senate working to shore up Mueller and Sessions regardless of what Trump wants, I wonder if this is the week where they finally start making him more and more impotent in terms of powers. 

If it is, then I have a feeling it's going to start something which isn't going to be stopped even after he leaves office. 

If so I guess those who feel the POTUS has too much power can be pleased.

• Members

It does seem like we might be turning a corner. I think it's his attacks on Sessions and Murkowski that might have flipped the switch. These folks may not care about the rest of us but he's going after their tribe (meaning Republican senators) now. I think they are beginning to see that none of them are safe and the truth is he makes their lives and jobs way harder to do.

• Members

What's going on is definitely a civil war within the Republican party, which actually began with the emergence of the Tea Party and has turned into a huge gaping maw.

It can be open to debate whether the office of the President of the United States will now be irrevocably changed but what seems certain that the GOP will definitely be forever changed. I'm not entirely sure that the Republican party as we currently know it, will ever be the same. It's possible that these schisms will cause a permanent splintering of the party. 

I wonder whether people felt this way about the Whigs once upon a time.

• Members

Meanwhile, in the repeal battle, Graham, McCain (clearly fixated on the evergreen status of his farewell speech, which amazingly even Beltway pundits have begun picking apart given his immediate subsequent actions) and other Senators who wanted to express Deep Concern while quietly allowing passage have just faced a new problem:

Losing Priebus and Sessions may also galvanize the GOP, though not quite to that point. And Mueller would be a red line. But I think if Trump makes good on his threat to veto the bipartisan Russian sanctions bill, we may see this even sooner.

• Members

They can't say they didn't know what was in it now - the bill came out and it's full of toxic shít. Before an hour ago they had a kind of superficial deniability. But I still expect McCain, Graham, etc. to fold and pass it. They always vote party over country, even if they have to realize this puts them in the crosshairs with their constituents. They're suiciding themselves out of a blind sense of spiraling uselessness.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Truth!

I'm not sure how I could be more disgusted with our so called leaders. Meanwhile Ben Sasse is tweeting his daughter's entitled text messages complaining about "The lame vote a rama" or some such.  I'll excuse her since she is a minor, but he disgusts me for tweeting that when he's in the middle of taking away people's healthcare.

I doubt McCain cares about being in the crosshairs of his constituents right now.  He's never going to run for office again.