Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I had not heard of this tournament before. I didn't even know it existed until Dominic entered it. He hasn't had a great grass court season like he did last year and I am assuming he wanted more matches on grass. It looks worse than a challenger tournament. There is no one there watching them play. I didn't know he had lost. I think he just needs to rest up for Wimbledon starting on Monday. I think he will do better there this year than last.

Yup, if my son can't win it then my crush-future husband-step father to Andy and Jamie my sons must win!

Please register in order to view this content

I am sure she has since his birthday suit pic too.

• Members

@DRW50 Oh wow, thanks for this, what a find!  I can actually remember when HBO used to broadcast coverage when I was a kid.

The late great Arthur Ashe was one of the commentators. I miss hearing his nuanced analysis, I miss his insights into today's sports culture. I'd love to know what he thinks of a Colin Kaepernick. 

I recently discovered that PBS also used to broadcast tennis before going to cable.

ETA: They even mention Cablevision, which growing up was the cable provider that my family susbscribed to!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Venus had a tough press conference earlier today.  I feel bad for her - it was awkward from the beginning.  A reporter asked her about if she had to change her bra (due to it being pink) and she said she didn't want to talk about it really - undergarments.  Then they said, the Wimbledon rule about white clothing, were you asked to change your bra because it was pink.  And I think she said, yes, but didn't want to talk about it - you can talk about it with your friends if you want but talking about undergarments is weird. 

The whole situation is awful - because it was like reporters were trying to ask her anything but what is going on with the accident.  Then someone asked her about emotions or something and how she felt, and she kind of lost it and had to leave.  It's not like she can really comment on anything at this point because it will be a court case - it's just awful all the way around. 

• Members

The tennis media is known for asking impertinent questions. They are surprising in their lack of decorum and their questions usually lack insight.  I can remember when they got Monfils (of all people) so irritated that he dropped the F-bomb at his post match press conference during the US Open last year.

Also, the media asked this question today of a player, which shows utter ignorance:

Andrei is Ukrainian and played in the 1990s, Daniil is Russian and only began his pro career 2 years ago but oh, some Einstein in the press corp thinks they're brothers.

The British media is the worst, their style of 'journalism' is pure tabloid and they were clearly looking to exploit a tragic situation.

Hopefully this is the end of that line of questioning and the press will go back to asking their usual irrelevant sports-related questions.  If not, I would just pass on each accident related question, maybe even let the moderator know I'm going to leave if there are more non-tennis related questions.

If it comes down to it, as a last resort, I'd skip the press conference altogether and pay the fines.

They can go exploit someone else's misery.

Isn't Dan Evans free these days? The British press can obsess over his cocaine habit and his hatred of Aljaz Bedene, who won his five setter over Ivo Karlovic today.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Stan is out!  So much for Paul Annacone's help!

I just realized that Berdych reached the semis last year. I had forgotten. He is ranked #20 and if he loses early he could drop out of the top 20!