Mulholland Dr.

leevo64

• Members

I just watched David Lynch's Mulholland Dr. and I am still trying to wrap my brain around it. I am starting to get it. Here's what I deduced (spoilers if you haven't seen it):

Diane Selwyn is a failed actress who came to Hollywood following a Jitterbug contest win in her home town (hence the bizarre jitterbug opening). She was madly in love with Camilla Rhodes, who left her for hot shot director Adam Kesher. Scorned, Diane put a hit a hit out on Camilla and shot herself out of guilt.

Now for the missing pieces...

• The weird scene at Winky's is part of Diane's dream. She saw the man speaking of his dream when she ordered the hit out on Camilla, then associated the two things in the dream.
  • The blue key that shows up in 'Rita's purse is the key that the hitman left on Diane's coffee table. In Diane's dream, the car crash stopped the hit and somehow Camilla/Rita ended up with the money and key.
  • The monster in the dream is a homeless man. I suppose maybe Diane had come in contact with him.
  • The 'dream Camilla' is the woman that passionately kissed 'real Camilla' in front of Diane.
  • The dead Diane in the dream signifies when things change from a dream to a nightmare.
  • The quirky Coco in Diane's dream is really Adam's !@#$%^&*]y mother.
  • 'Betty Elms' is the ideal that Diane wishes she could be. The elderly couple represents the innocence that Diane has lost since coming to Hollywood.
Anyone know anything about the box?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dunno, but WTF was up with the cowboy?!

I remembered watching this for a film class(this being the first time I had ever seen the movie) and the entire time, I was uttering under my breath, "What the [!@#$%^&*]?!"

After the end credits rolled, most of us just sat there, a lot of it in silence, trying to process what had just happened.

I initially hated this movie, but ever since then, I have always thought about it and how the pieces all fit together.

David Lynch made this such a fabulous movie. There's no way in hell ABC would have ever offered the committment to make this into a long-running television series.

And another thing...she never met Coco before the party, so how could Coco be in her dream so vividly?! Isn't that odd?

• Members

Good point about Coco! And I agree about the cowboy...can we possibly chalk it up to the movie originally being a pilot and some loose ends left dangling? I wonder if it HAD been picked up as a series how things would have panned out.

Archived