Big Brother 7: Official Discussion Thread (NO Spoilers)

R!ck

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as the #s game goes, it's smarter to vote out the floaters before Chilltown. The only person in S6 who would've been safe with Diane was James. It completely makes sense to take her out of the equation now, leaving us with - S6=4 Floaters=4 Chilltown=2 Sorry, but Boogie can't win HOH to save his life, and we all know Will probably doesn't even want to, so why take them out? I thought from the get-go that Janelle should have targeted Diane.

• Members

Here's an interview with Arnold Shapiro. Nothin' New:

Arnold Shapiro, Executive Producer of the CBS show Big Brother (together with Allison Grodner and Rich Meehan) took time out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions for me. I polled some of the show fans on message boards and in my blog to see what they really wanted to know and here's the skinny directly from Mr. Shapiro:

Q: In the opening credits for the show, as well as the intro/exit to commercial breaks, there is a close-up shot of a partial face and eye with the Big Brother logo. Whose eye is that? The talk has spread from a staff member to Mike "Boogie." Please settle one of the longest lasting silly 'BB' disputes ever for us.

A: Although I was not producing BB1, it's my understanding that the partial face and eye is not the exotic story that some have surmised. In fact, they belonged to someone working at the graphics house that designed the logo opening — "just some guy down the hall who we grabbed for the shot." That's the real story. Nothing exotic or even interesting.

Q: Live feeds watchers, in particular, often hear the phrase "penalty nomination." I've watched the show since it started and don't recall one ever being used. If a penalty nomination were to be used, how would it work? Would there be three houseguests nominated for eviction? Why aren't penalty nominations used?

A: The possibility of a penalty nomination really exists. It's an option we've yet to use. Yes, it would probably mean that there would be three nominees up for eviction. I'm glad we haven't had to use it because it would mean that a houseguest really messed up and didn't follow our rules.

Q: Have you tasted the Big Brother Slop? Is the big problem with it that it's bland? (The houseguests always seem to be spicing it up somehow.) Is it an oatmeal blend? How many consecutive weeks can a houseguest be placed on the BB Slop restriction?

A: I have not personally had the pleasure of sampling the BB slop. I'm told it's nutritious but extremely bland. The longest time a houseguest would be required to eat only slop - after losing a food competition - is one week. However, George is on slop for as long as he's in the house because of a unique offer that he agreed to in the veto competition. So George will be the "slop record holder" of BB All-Stars.

Q: Is there any word about a Season 8?

A: We usually find out about whether we're picked up for another season in the weeks after our season ends so at this point there is no word on BB8. But our ratings are strong, the shows are good (in my humble opinion), and I feel optimistic that there will be a BB8 - with an all-new cast.

Q: You've had several show twists over the years, many involving a major twist to the season itself (Ex-Factor, DNA, etc.). What major twist did you find the most difficult to achieve and/or work with from the production end of things? Have you ever had to give up on a twist idea because it just wasn't workable?

A: Every twist that was created we have been able to pull off. If a twist idea is too unrealistic, we won't try it (mainly because of the time involved that would be wasted). The most challenging twist we achieved was "Project Do Not Assume" or "DNA" where we put a half-brother and half-sister into the house ("Cowboy" and "Nakomis") as well as the identical twin sisters who switched places every few days and fooled the house guests 10 times (Adria and Natalie). In the process of interviewing identical twins we found Drew and Diane who we put into the house as individuals.

Q: The Internet audience watching the live feeds makes Big Brother a show like no other. With websites reporting every breath they take and every move they make, what challenges does that present? Do you think the show would be as successful without the feeds watching (and reporting) audience?

A: Big Brother is unique because of the Internet feeds. I'm sure it contributes to our success. The only challenge the feeds present to us is that we have to block them from time to time because of competitions or if the house guests are doing something that presents a legal problem for us. And, unfortunately, the subscribers become angry and frustrated and call us with their complaints. But I can assure everyone that we do our best to keep the feeds on as much as we possibly can. When they are not on, there is a legitimate reason.

Q: Are there any houseguests (outside of the 20 choices) that you personally would have loved to see in with the current mix of the 'All Stars' house?

A: Even with 20 choices, there were still past house guests we liked and would have liked to include, but we had agreed that 20 was our number. My biggest disappointment - personally - was one of the 20 who did not make it in: Lisa Donahue. But, again, there were reasons for everyone who is in and who is not. But I personally wish that Lisa could have been one of the chosen 14.

Q: You weren't involved with the first season. Did you know what you were getting into with Chicken George? (I'm glad he made it this season.) He's a bit off-the-wall, y'know.

A: Although I did not produce season one, I watched it. I was quite familiar with "Chicken" George. Yes, we knew what we were getting ourselves into. But I must say, in interviewing him, he is one of the nicest house guests I've ever met, and he is truly honored to be a part of All-Stars. His antics are part of his "charm" (or whatever word you might want to substitute).

Q: Are there any houseguests whose behavior truly surprised you in the house — a total change from when they were in casting?

A: Being in the house changes everyone to one degree or another. So, no, I'm not surprised by the way anyone has acted or is acting. The house makes everyone somewhat unpredictable. I guess you have to experience it to fully understand it.

Q: I realize the most recent season is often what stays in the minds of viewers. Therefore, there are four people from last season. Do you think they have an unfair advantage? (Or will Will and Danielle just take 'em down one by one?)

A: America voted in four people from Season 6. So whether or not they have an unfair advantage, it was a situation created by the viewers, not by us. It's too soon in the season to say whether they have an unfair advantage. Things change by the week - and the hour - in the BB house, so we won't know until the end about the advantages or disadvantages of being from BB6.

Q: My favorite comps tend to be the ones like the one transforming faces and/or ones which make me laugh aloud. An example of the latter was one where the houseguests had huge sponge outfits on a few seasons ago. Do you have a favorite competition?

A: I don't have one favorite competition, but, like you, I prefer the ones that make me laugh out loud, and several have done that — too many to mention here. Remember, it's usually not the competition itself that's funny, but rather the house guests' reaction to it or the way they play it that results in audience laughter. We've had great competitions that were suspenseful, that required coordination skills, a strong stomach, agility, courage, etc. Our goal is to try and make each competition be something different to the house guests and to the viewers.

• Members

Despite Janie's mistake, I still love her and want her to make it to the end. I NEVER have trsuted James and ALWAYS knew he would turn his back on S6 in a heartbeat.

Janie lying to Howie DEFINETLY was not ok with me, but I am hoping that she will own up to it and tell Howie.

The 3 people I care about the most are Janey, Howie and K and as long as those 3 remain intacted (and James can [!@#$%^&*] the hell off) I am happy!

Also taking Diane out is DEIFNETLY a good move for Janelle personally. Diane is AFTER her, whereas with CT she is not on the top of their priority list when you counter in James and Kaysar.

• Members

The editing for the Janelle/Howie "lie" was bad. She did lie but that was only bc James was there and she didnt want to see him explode. When he left and she was alone with Howie, she told him everything and she also informed Kaysar. That part never made it to air. Howie wasnt in the dark for that long

• Members

My post didn't go through. BOOOOOOO!!!

OK, so Will is a good candidate for the F2 at this point because people are thinking or will think "They'll never give him the money again."

Whereas, Danielle won't be taken to the F2, IMO. She definitely can get there. I could see it happening. I can see her winning. But she'll have to earn it. She'll have to win the F4 and F3 HOH's. I just can't see her being taken like Lisa (and Jason, kinda) did last time. It would be game suicide to bring her to the F2!

• Members

I just realized that they didn't do a DR session with Diane after she got nominated. Wow! She really is like a non-entity this year. I feel bad for Diane. I really do like her. She's a good person.

I hope tonight is the Endurance HOH. I am guessing that it is. I really hope that Boogie's foot/stitches come into play, and he can't stand for long. hehehe.

I'm guessing Will will throw it?

I can't see Danielle or George winning an Endurance, but you never know.

So that leaves James, Kaysar, Howie, Erika, and Marcellas. I hope it's Kays or Howie! Erika lasted 6 hours to win her Endurance HOH her season. Kaysar lasted 14 hours. So, I don't think she'll be much competition for him. Not to mention, she's been on slop and so has Marcells. I really hope this falls in Howie or Kaysar's corner tonight.

• Members

Marcellas is a little !@#$%^&*]. I cant see him winning endurance bc he doesnt have much patience and loves to whine. I wouldnt be surprised if he was the first one out in that. I really want Howie to win tonight but for some reason my gut is telling me Dani or James will. I sure hope not

• Members

James says that he nominated Jase because his team wanted to, but in his interview with Julie in HOH room, he said that Jase defected to Chilltown and Jase told James he'd go after Dani and Janelle so James did what he wanted and what he had to. Soooo, more double talk.

I agree, Cheap. Marcie is so annoying this year. He's acting like a brat. Physical challenges really aren't Dani's strong suit, but you never know!

Archived