• Members
Posted (edited)

Idk maybe. But I love a good (unbiased) surprise. 

But for me, personally, I find that the stupid choices and the biased writing that always otherwise ruin a good storyline or character arc that fuel my negative opinions lol 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm a fan and I enjoy him, so I don't want to get into a lets-be-mean-to-Ron C fiesta (again).

My quibble is that his structure is always to hide information for a big reveal, rather than taking us along for the ride so that we can see the motives and understand the evolution.

Edited by j swift

• Members

There were some pretty good scenes today. A lot of them felt really natural, based on the directions that their storylines are going, especially the EJ/Johnny scenes. For the first time, I’m interested in something that has to do with all the radiation stuff. 

And I really liked Eric admitting to Nicole that he’s making the same mistakes with Sloan that he did with her. It’s always nice to see a character so self aware and pretty much realizing that they do have flaws. 

As for the teens, their scenes seemed a little corny and cliche lol but I liked them. And besides, who would want to write teens the way that they really are?

Please register in order to view this content

It’s too soon to make any judgments about new character Aaron but I’m glad to see friends as part of the Tate/Holly storyline. They definitely needed them. And I don’t really know what Holly’s doing when it comes to all the prom stuff but I kinda like it lol these teens should be messy. And in some ways, it’s better than the Romeo and Juliet-like stuff that Tate and Holly were doing a few months ago

• Members

The teens are incredibly awkward.  Sophia seems to have a personality, but I am pretty sure they just found this Aaron guy in the parking lot lol.  When he was talking to Tate about all his extra curricular activities I felt like Tate just met him in that moment at the park.  Wouldn't he know all this about his good buddy?  I don't know why the show is so adverse to adding obvious legacy kids like Parker and Sydney to this group.  

Also the Last Blast shout out felt so very Ron lol.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I've dismissed concerns in the past, but Tate definitely looked too old for high school today. 

Are we to assume that they're juniors because they are getting ready to apply to college?  Tate went to a good boarding school, so I don't think he'll need to worry about extracurricular activities. But, he should demand a letter of rec from EJ, considering he won't get one from his former school.  Also, I appreciated the talk about student loans, it felt contemporary.  Although paying for college is probably not one of Tate's concerns. 

@AbcNbc247 mentioned that people were smart yesterday, but today, Ava and Harris don't seem to know when they have the upper hand on Clyde.  The book is evidence that he dealt drugs.  Tripp is off on vacation, so there's no threat.  Thus, there is no reason to give the book to Clyde.  Harris especially should know better. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

So, yeah, Tate doesn't need to worry about paying for college and he does look too old.  I sort of thought the awkward talk about student loans had something to do with Aaron possibly applying for Li's college grant Kristen set up?  It was a college grant/scholarship she set up right?  Lol it was such a minor detail I forgot already.

• Members

The "teen talk" about college and prom was all an eye-rolling mess to me. I felT bad for the actors, because nothing about that sounded like real teens.

Sophia gets hit in the face with a football and decides that's her cue to get Tate to take her to prom? OK then.

• Members

I don't even hate the fact Sophia used the football incident to get Tate to take her to the prom.  Whatever.  Stupid soap stuff.

Why was there such a long back and forth as to whether or not the football was thrown on purpose?  No normal teenage boy would try to throw a football directly into a female's face on purpose, especially since these guys appear to like Holly and Sophia lol.

• Members
Posted (edited)

That’s what I was worried nuTate was gonna be

None of them have really wowed me as much as Jamie Martin Mann did, but I’m still cautiously optimistic. They just need to tell this story at a reasonable pace. Rushing it would ruin it. 

I forgot that too, actually

But I wouldn’t mind that happening. That would be a good way to weave Aaron into the storyline. 

Well tbf, real teens from pretty much every generation are probably the toughest ones to write realistically.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Agreed.  Jamie Martin Mann had something.  He seems much more vulnerable and young than the current Tate and I think that worked for the character.

I still think AP is a find for Holly and I really don't hate the girl that plays Sophia.  I just hate that the sidekicks always are a little dumb, silly, and vapid.  

I'll give Aaron a shot, but he was one very unnatural actor on camera.  Like Charity Rahmer vibes

To be fair, I haven't been a teenager for a billion years, but we used to talk about the dumbest stuff and that wouldn't have been interesting or entertaining on camera so I don't know how to make teens seem real.  I think soaps tend to make teens much more "wholesome" than what they actually are IRL like an afternoon special or something.

• Members
Posted (edited)

It’s been a while for me too, but I remember there being a lot of behaviors that people would consider toxic nowadays. 

As for the current teen generation, they seem to be a little too brainwashed by whatever their social media pages say. Which was one of the reasons why I didn’t mind that Tate/Holly/Aaron/Sophia were so corny and cliche. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yes exactly.  All of it was corny and silly and I don't think it reflects how any 17/18 year old would act, but I also probably don't want to know how current 17 years old act either.

It's also a bit silly for me to even criticize a show like Days for not being realistic enough.  With the devil possession being an actual thing on the show and all.

Edited by carolineg

• Members
Posted (edited)

Dialogue aside, I miss the promise of what Tate and Holly represented in their premiere week.

Tate was a rebel on the outside, but he was just emerging from his cloistered world into more public spaces.  He was nasty to his parents, but still able to be surprised by what other high schoolers were doing.

Holly was smoking doobies and flirting with older men, while maintaining the aura of innocence.  Chanel had her number, but everyone else just thought she was sweet and reliable.

Where are those two crazy kids?  And why have they been replaced by starry-eyed teens who think of nothing but clandestine texting?  One OD, and a couple of weeks at wilderness training, and they've lost their edge.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I tend to believe Days tries a lot to introduce edgy young people all the time and they immediatly lose their edge.  Allie, Chanel, Johnny, Ciara, even Wendy and Tripp started out more interesting.  Claire might be the only recent young teen/adult who kept a tiny bit of edge.

I have to agree with you that we missed a step or five from Holly not being into Tate at all and suddenly they are star crossed.  As an audience we obviously knew it was coming, but there was so little time spent on Holly getting over Johnny and her deciding Tate was the one.  I really don't think we got any insight on that from Holly at all.  It just happened in an episode or two.