• Members

I think it was easy to overlook because of the optics of her having to sell the hotel to Carly, Willow's latest judgment, etc. but she did have some lovely character beats that Cynthia Watros clearly enjoyed playing. I was always a little hot and cold on Cynthia at GL but she's done good work with the rare shreds of decency she got here. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The thing is that they've spent the past couple years humiliating Nina onscreen daily, having her constantly fúck up, cry and howl and beg for forgiveness from everyone in town as they excoriated her. Even as someone who doesn't care much for Nina generally, it was exhausting and tiresome. This appears to be something deliberate from the writers' room (and I suspect Korte) ever since MB asked to be paired with CW, some way to subvert it. Many of us have talked about it here in the past.

Nina selling the hotel back was fine by me bc it never made much sense for her to have it, and she did it to clean the slate with Sonny and Carly. And Willow putting her down yet again got her in bed with Drew, and the relationship with her daughter is now on an upswing (and I'm sure will be down again soon with PM leaving). So that was all growth to me, versus the years of onscreen bullying.

• Members

Nina selling the hotel was one of the big changes that I felt was handled really well. She took it over on an impulse and to annoy Carly. Without Sonny, annoying Carly isn’t as much fun for her. And they established in a handful of scenes how badly she was doing running it, and how little fun it was bringing her. I also feel Nina I has been great under the new writers. Watros is really energized by the material, and it shows.

Sonny being so protective of Gio would make more sense if he had been introduced even a few days earlier. Instead we meet him, he talks to Dex, and Sonny goes apeshit.

• Members

The sucker punch was one thing. The total domination was ridiculous.

When you poke around online, mostly on Twitter, the amount of Sonny fans appalled at this writing makes me scratch my head. Did they watch the show before the last 10 years? This isn’t that far off from how Guza wrote him. Volatile, unlikeable, quick to violence. This is very much Sonny to me, just older.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think what gets me the most about that storyline is not that the writers are attempting to redeem Heather after 20-plus years of bad behavior, but the means through which they're doing so.  A poisonous hip replacement!?  That's "Sun Also Sets"-level stupid, lol.

I could buy PM not going along with the Hip Replacement from Hell (despite rumors/reports suggesting otherwise) but I can't buy that issue alone being the dealbreaker.

I think the straw that broke that camel's back - more than even Korte's Carly bias, in fact - is exactly what @Vee alluded to above: the rumor(s) that FV refused to let him trim the cast.

You can swallow your pride and write that Heather is all better now with her new hip, but coming up with good storylines for 450 characters (including all those damn kids) while still writing Latham/Lechowick-esque scenes that can't run longer than an Ozempic ad?  Girl, no.

Edited by Khan

• Members
Posted (edited)

I do think the "Drew becomes Drew Quartermaine and goes into politics as a gladhanding tycoon" angle was all PM (and I've heard it was, but who knows). It reminds me of some of the classic Ross Marler stories, as I said. And it really suits what Cameron is good at. It's obvious Nina would've become either his scheming First Lady/wife or his secret scandalous lover BTS, or both. I was all for this stuff.

People were clowning the Drew Q thing because he's been in prison, but exactly how many felons, killers, bombers, etc. on soaps have gone on to high office? IIRC Scott became DA again after he robbed the entire town and left behind a videotape trolling them!

In any event, Mulcahey allegedly quit instead of being fired and good for him.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Not political office but can't forget Leisl Obrecht coming back from her Faison/Duke Lavery love, the Creighton clinic days and the Anner mask to once again be COS at GH. Who wrote that era? Those days were gold (for me, not everyone). KGati is such a gem in this role, campy as she always was.

• Members

Laura has been involved with several murders/killings, some of them she did herself. She married her rapist, had a severe cognitive breakdown, and has been in close ties with the mob several times. If Port Charles can ignore all that and be happy to elect her mayor, Drew’s prison stint is nothing.

Drew and Nina were both given purpose and a spark of life and it feels like PM to me as well, more than Korte.

• Members
Posted (edited)

He didn't even get his name on the door yet, lol!

I'm not sure if I would've liked Drew getting involved in politics.  I would've needed to see that play out a little bit before making up my mind.  But, it's probably moot now.

Edited by Khan

• Members
Posted (edited)

He wasn't. Friday was their Episode #46. M-F a month is 23 days, so in effect, they'd been on air, for 2 months. And, they were smack dab in the middle of May Sweeps. Traditionally, the rule of thumb is either 6 months or 2 Sweeps periods. As has been said by others here already, this is unprecedented if they fired him this quickly. 

Clearly Friday was their first BIG DAY. We have learned from Steve & Harrington in a podcast last week that Cates & Jason have taped "action scenes." Also Finola said something which made it sound like Pikeman is about to heat up but maybe not conclude for 4-5 more weeks. 

This says to me that we are just now getting into the thick of it. It seems to me that they have thrown out not only the bathwater and the baby but the whole damn nursery. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more

• Members

Drew also was convicted of a non-violent crime.  Insider trading probably isn't a great look for a politician, but it feels like something I can overlook.  I don't find anything Aurora (sp?) does to be very interesting so I am for it.  

Drew and Nina really were the winners during PM's brief stint.  Most interesting pairing on the show right now and I basically hate both of them lol.