The Originals and the Imitators

• Members

Not to turn the topic too insular to my current obsessions, but does that shifting trend in the mid-late '80s (which I do agree with) possibly explain why Knots Landing (which was less OTT glam and still ostensibly about a semi-relatively grounded neighborhood of people) had a slight edge on the other primetime soaps for outlasting them by a year or two?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Possibly. 

I believe KL outlasted the other '80's primetime soaps for three reasons: 1) like you said, @Vee, it was less glam and more down-to-earth (that is, when you compare it to DALLAS, DYNASTY and FC); 2) it had better actors, which allowed the show's producers to give characters more psychological layers; and 3) it took more chances when it came to upending viewers' expectations, so that you really didn't know what to expect from week to week.

• Members

Fred Silverman lucked out with Real People Wed @8 on NBC. After a slow start it began outrating Eight Is Enough. Fred tried more reality with  Games People Play and Speak Up America but they bombed.

AbC debuted That's Incredible which was an immediate hit and gave them a viable Monday lead in after years of trying. ABC tried again with Those Amazing Animals.

CBB' only attempt was That's My Line.