soap opera music topics

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The bee in my bonnet -- Catlin and Sally's theme in 1984/1985 was this song which was played at their wedding on a portable stereo. Usually they played a very nice instrumental version in romantic scenes but at the wedding it was a version with vocals and lyrics. Per the AWHP the title was "When" but I have not been able to find any other information about it. Who wrote it? Who sang it? Did it have a life outside AW?

Wedding version:

Instrumental version:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One of my favorite soap opera composers was the late Wladimir Selinsky.  He wrote the theme (I think) for the CBS primetime show Our Private World and also my favorite soap opera there, A World Apart.   He also composed (background music, I presume) for Love Is a Many Splendored Thing,

He was born on February 15, 1910 and passed away at the age of 74 in 1984.Wladimir Selinsky | SecondHandSongs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

Today, I learned that Ray Martin and Edythe Britton composed the theme song for the ABC serial Never Too Young.

Score Productions provided other (probably background) music.

Mr. Martin also composed the theme for NBC/Bing Crosby Productions' Bright Promise.

Edited by danfling

• Members
Posted (edited)

@NothinButAttitude posted this helpful info in the Another World thread. It's from Soap Opera Digest and identifies the singers on When as Ullanda McCulloch and Darryl Tookes. It indicates that the song is "not available" which suggests that it was never commercially released. Interestingly, when I look up Darryl Tookes it says that he also sang on the Guiding Light theme, which makes me wonder whether When could have been an in-house P&G piece.

@Contessa Donatella I see you mentioned in the AW thread that the Soap Digest item in the link was mistaken about Bo and Hope's theme, which it lists as "Whatever We Imagine" by James Ingram. The SOD item is from 1989 and based on nostalgia for the way-distant early- to mid-1980s, bless their hearts. I have no idea whether "Whatever We Imagine" might ever have been used for Bo and Hope -- for some reason there do seem to be fan videos on YouTube that have used it, but I didn't find any clips that showed it used in the show. However even if they had another theme it could be possible that "Whatever We Imagine" was used at some point. Maybe a bigger Bo and Hope fan can clarify. 

Edited by Xanthe
Bo and Hope (I refuse to say Bope)

• Members

The last time they were both on-screen must have been much more recent than 1989 when the SOD article was published, so that on its own would not be meaningful. 

For each of the couples in the listicle they gave only one love theme. In 1989 Bo and Hope would have been offscreen for more than a year. I don't know how SOD chose between multiple songs but it seems like you can make the case that "Whatever We Imagine" was one of their love themes even if they decided not to list multiple songs. I would probably have wanted to base the decision on how frequently they used it and what kind of scene it tended to be matched with. But if after 1989 they used "Whatever We Imagine" less and "Tonight I Celebrate My Love For You" more, SOD could not have predicted that.

I cannot believe what a hard time I had keeping "Tonight I Celebrate My Love For You" in my head while typing that -- my brain kept flipping it to "If Ever You're in My Arms Again."