GH: February 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Even if they do tie Dex to Jagger, it doesn't help any story.  Making Jagger his dad just makes Jagger his dad.  Jagger has no ties to anyone.  Sure, it might make Dex working for Sonny awkward, but that's about it.  I remember Dex rambling on to Joss about his family but I can't remember what he said because he's boring.  Would any of the things Dex said about his family even fit?  I think he did say his mom was dead.

I cringe when I don't edit my posts on here and see a big typo.  Could you imagine releasing that book with those errors to the general public?  Now, I am sure very few people saw it, but still....

• Members

Every time ASJ says or does something that gets C-list media attention, I'm more ashamed that my adolescent self lusted after him in various states of undress.  Beyond that, I could care less about him, let alone the character.

Meanwhile, I've been keeping my eyes out for Lois's name in the episode summaries on Hulu ever since Bobbie's sendoff (which was the first I'd learned Rena Sofer had returned).  I was beginning to think Lois had been written off without explanation, but apparently she'd been wandering around the Quartermaine mansion off-screen for about a month.  This Jagger recast makes me question if the intention for all the living characters who were on the show in 1993 to join her?

I love seeing Rena as Lois, but I don't love how they're writing the character.  I'm also at a loss as to where she fits into the "main" stories.  Ostensibly Lois is playing a supportive role in her daughter's story, but Brook Lynn seems to be backburnered herself now.  Lois's most dramatic material in the past month with the Olivia character, who disappeared herself for most of January.  And of course Ned remains MIA altogether.  Am I missing something?

All to say, the way they're wasting Rena's Lois doesn't bode well for bringing back another character from that era with fewer connections to the current canvas and a recast.  Never mind, of course, that there is a new writing team taking over in a month...why on earth recast Jagger now?

Edited by DeliaIrisFan

• Members

The way the show is utilizing Lois is odd.  She doesn't really do a whole lot and it is disappointing.  She hasn't been integrated with the cast at all really.  Lois spends a lot of time with Olivia.   Lois just really doesn't fit in with the any stories right unless they push her towards Sonny, which I don't think anyone would really want.   I know Rena was available and the show jumped on that, but it doesn't feel like there was an actual plan for Lois besides sparring with Tracy, gossiping with Olivia, and planning Brook Lynn's wedding.  Lois deserves better.

For all I know they could be planning to pair Lois/Jagger lol.  I don't think they even know one another that well, but I think they may have a few scenes back in the day.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

For me, Lois requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief.  For example, last week, her main story was that she was over involved in Brook Lyn's (one L or 2?) wedding planning.  Causing BLQ to complain about how Lois is so overbearing.  Meanwhile, for the past few years we've seen Brook involved in a baby switch and numerous other big life events and Lois was nowhere to be found.  So, they're telling us that she is a helicopter Mom, but we've never seen evidence of this until the past few months. 

• Members

Thanks, the lack of an 'E' for Brook, and the number of "N's always requires a Google search, just like the spelling of Nikolas (Nicklaus).  At least Jagger preferring to be called John will make it easier...

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I remember Lois was at Karen and Jagger's wedding, as Brenda's plus one.  Incidentally, that may have been the last time Lois spent the night in the Quartermaine mansion itself before she moved in(?) a few months ago (one of many things I don't think rings true about how Lois is being written).  I remember Brenda was living there at the time and invited Lois to stay over.  I believe that was the first time Lois (knowingly) met any of the Qs, besides Ned.

Did LLC share scenes with (any) Lois previously?  Was it even stated explicitly when Olivia was first introduced that she and Lois had been childhood friends, or was that a retcon?  It's hard to believe anyone would have cared enough to make that connection back then.

Edited by DeliaIrisFan

• Members

Well, it seems like a return no one had any plans for lol, but that does make sense.

I think Brook Lynn has mentioned more than once Lois was overbearing.  And Lesli kay's short lived version of Lois was.  It's not completely out of left field, but it still feels a bit out of character for Rena's Lois.  Since Brook's entire childhood was basically off screen it's hard to say.

Yeah, I remember Lois being at the wedding, but she didn't actually know Jagger except through Brenda.  I can't think of any real one on one scenes with RS and ASJ.  Possibly there was a scene at Kelly's when Jagger and Karen came back briefly when Stone was ill.  I think Karen/Jagger spoke to Ned/Lois for a minute.  So I would say Lois would know who Jagger is but only in an acquaintance sense.

LLC never shared scenes with any Lois.  Olivia did state she and Lois were friends when she first came to town though.  I don't think Olivia ever said they were bffs or anything like that though.

• Members

Whoa.  Yeah, when I tuned back in for Bobbie's memorial and recognized the actress playing Brook Lynn from (Valentini's) OLTL, I figured she would have plenty to do, and plenty for Lois to support at least.  But the wedding-planning scene (with Tracy being the de facto Lila) was just bizarre.

I think JE and RS are good together, even if the writing for their scenes is as superficial as they were in 1996.  Have they even established what Lois now does for a living?  Presumably her record company would have either made the transition to digital and she's so independently wealthy that she wouldn't need the Quartermaines' hospitality, or more likely she transitioned to another business but probably gained some impressive experience along the way.  Couldn't she have some kind of business dealing with Tracy that adds some layers?

That makes sense.  From the clips I could find of Ned's amnesia by the time I realized Rena was back, it seemed like a stupid story, but at least it made sense for Lois to be there.

Then again, there are so many prominent (GH and/or other) soap stars from the '90s on cast, with varying degrees of airtime.

Edited by DeliaIrisFan

• Members

When Rena first came they didn't know if they were going to get on well & vice versa. They were unsure of her & she was unsure of them. But, it's a total lovefest. 

The original commitment was for 30 episodes. Before that term was even up they knew they wanted her to stay & she knew she wanted to as well. She & Frank agreed they would leave it open-ended. The people at the studio are kind of in love with her. 

The hair things she was sporting are called Martian knots & a character in "Sex Education" on Netflix wears them. Brit show. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges