GH: February 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

Well, I can see why they didn't hire him back?  Is he okay?  Why is he jerking around giving these comments?  It's a bit scary.

Weird erasure.  But I think his point was the main ABC show.

I don't think Brenda would be ruined at the altar of Carly.  She's just too big of a character.  The Ninas and Avas can come in, but it's not the same.  Brenda was the IT girl long before Carly was.   Carly is insecure about Brenda.  Sonny and Jax's were Brenda's men first.  I can agree FV might ruin it, but the character of Brenda just has a lot more legs than two characters made up in the last decade.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

-- Those Antonio Sabato Jr videos are....special. The guy is a lying MAGA narcissist.

He lied about making GH #1. He lied about not having any bad blood with GH for 30 years, when he just tweeted that Frank V should be fired. He lied about having all these projects he's working on -- Wikipedia says he works for a construction company. He lied about giving his "truth" in those videos. If anyone can figure out what he meant by that, let me know.

Worst of all, Sabato is DELUSIONAL about what he meant to the show.

I'm fine with the recast. The character's been gone for 30 years. THIRTY. The recast is a solid actor with a real resume, so I'm giving him a chance. I think a recast Jagger is much easier to get used to than a recast Molly.

-- I agree with Errol about recasting Brenda -- it won't work with anyone but Vanessa Marcil. Anyone can b technically recast, and sometimes great actors are recast and it works (see Edward Quartermaine, for ex.)

However, there's just something different about VM/Brenda, and I don't think I can explain it. I just feel it.

I do wonder what she's been doing to make a living. Her IMDB and Wikipedia show nothing since 2019 -- that's 5 years. Makes me feel as if she decided to leave acting and that it's not about playing Brenda again. Her husband is a Deputy Sheriff in CA, so it's not like they're rolling in money.

• Members

To be fair, Antonio Sabbato Jr was a big part of the reason (via the Karen-Jason-Brenda teen quad plus AJ) GH had a ratings resurgence during the Wendy Riche tenure starting in 1992-1993.  GH was #1 (or close to it) in the demo ratings that ABC cared about back then.  GH and ABC had ASJ and Vanessa Marcil do promotion all the time all over the place (talk shows, radio, magazines, etc.) in the early/mid-1990s.

Yeah, he's definitely exercising while recording that vlog post.  It's nice to see an actor actually express interest and gratitude for a character he helped create 30+ years ago.  I still think Jagger is the second best thing he ever did (the best thing was playing Janet Jackson's love interest in "Love Will Never Do (Without You)"). 

I wonder how Frank Valentini, Varni/ABC will react if this gains any traction.  There were a lot of veteran actresses back in the pre-social media days that got recast unjustly and were never able to publicly, directly address the executive producers that were responsible for those decisions in real time.

• Members

I think Vanessa did pretty well in syndication money with Las Vegas and 90210.  She also make a lot on GH overall and if she invested it well she probably doesn't have to work.  She was never a massive star, but I think she has made enough to live comfortably, if not extravagantly if she was smart about it. 

I think Vanessa also mentioned she was pausing her career until her son and stepdaughter were out of school.  Her son is, but I think the stepdaughter is a senior in high school right now.  I actually don't think she's married to her partner btw.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

I do not think GH unjustly recast Jagger. ASJ tweeting that Frank V should be fired probably sealed not being asked back and shows have that right not to hire someone if they see them as problematic

• Members

Right. I think she's engaged.

I checked Sabato's Instagram -- and it's as hilarious as you'd expect.

His "devoted fans" slather on the praise that only a grand narcissist can appreciate, so Antonio should love it. They all miss him, they're horrified he wasn't asked back, they hate Frank, GH is terrible, they're all buying his book....

It is HYSTERICAL.

• Members

Every time people finds something dickish a celebrity did it always becomes this run-up lately to people going 'ohhhh I'm totally fine with the recast now' and cheering on whatever dumbass story move this show or others do. I'm not going to do that because not only do I not care about Jagger as a character coming back and think he is needless and unnecessary, I also don't care about ASJ. We have known he is a MAGA nutjob for years. Nothing new is being imparted here. That doesn't change the fact that this recast actor is an embarrassing choice for Jagger, who was always, as Khan noted, at the very least 'an ethnic type'.

It was a dumb idea to bring Jagger back and it's a dumber idea to cast a guy from Great American Family auditions in the role. The prior actor being a dumbass does not suddenly make this a great idea lol.

• Members

Which is fine.  They have been engaged for years and years, but it would seem all that money she made is all hers, so she could probably float for awhile without work.  It looks like they (she) own homes in both New York and LA so they can't be doing that bad lol. 

• Members

The key reason FV has avoided Brenda like the plague. She is too big an imprint for the show he has tried to craft and control according to his careful specifications, with characters he mostly has created or invested in.