The niche potential for streaming classic soaps

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Same here.  Even though I watched The Edge of Night most afternoons in the late 1970s and early 1980s -- and therefore I already know how each crime and mystery is resolved -- I enjoy watching the old episodes to catch the clues that I foolishly missed when the episodes originally aired.  The style of writing includes many red herrings deliberately thrown in our direction, and many actual CLUES sprinkled into what appear on the surface to be mundane conversations.  When I re-watch an episode on You Tube, I always find myself wondering, "How did I MISS that clue in 1981?  I sat there and WATCHED this episode!"  There's a certain timelessness about it -- probably because of the film noir/cops and robbers format -- that simply doesn't exist in other serialized shows.   

• Members

The big issue is that those other soaps aren't digitized and that takes a lot of time and money to do; I suspect the reason why Bold is on streaming is because the Bells just kept up with the technology and probably had it digitized early (especially as they sold it in reruns to some countries in the past).

If someone decides to digitize the archives that remains then *maybe* I could see it happening on some form of FAST service, but it would be more of a passion/preservation project and there are so many (shorter) tv shows and movies that it would take a long time before they came around to the soap archives.

• Members

There ya go! That's the attitude! Clearly B&B and GH and Y&R all have experiments going on. Neighbours is a major streaming event. Dark Shadows, Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Melrose Place, Beverly Hills 90210, all streaming with people clamoring for KNOTS! Plus The Doctors which ran aground sorta, from trouble. 

• Members

Yeah, they need to put up all these episodes on Youtube or Facebook Watch.  If the entire music industry can put up all the music videos and song recordings on Youtube and be able to monetize it, there's no reason whoever owns the soap episodes couldn't (and it takes care of the music rights because Youtube already has arrangements for that).  The episodes are now collecting dust, they could be collecting a few thousand or million dollars, building exposure/interest from a global audience on a huge platform like Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Kindred: The Embraced, excellent short-run, only 8 episodes, vampire soap is available on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzovi87vDfzLiv_-xg5wV5RO0hY3uNKuC

Stacy Haiduk, Patrick Bachau, Brigid Brannagh, Jeff Kober, RIP Mark Frankel, C. Thomas Howell, Kelly Rutherford, Kate Vernon, Ivan Sergei, Patricia Charbonnea

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more info

• Members

don't understand why TPTB not releasing classic episodes from 60'-70's to YouTube.. for instance days of our lives. Clearly they store all those old episodes and once in forever show flashbacks (for instance when bill horton died.. we witnessed via flashbacks to bill and Doug's first meeting from 1970!!!) 

they should release those episode even for pay per view.. grrrrr

• Members

It is frustrating to us as fans. But, it would involve actual digitizing & curating & they'd have to have servers so it's easy to see why just dumping things on YouTube would not allow them to cover their costs, ya know? 

And, the question to them is, of course, if they could make money off of it. I believe that they could. And, DAYS is an excellent example because they have all of it except one season & those early years written by Bill Bell & then by Pat Falken Smith would probably draw fans of different ages. 

• Members

Yes, I quite agree. In making their shows available to a large international market it must have been advantageous to digitize them, which put B&B ahead of the game. Of course, that gives them the leg up on being able to do a grand experiment with a well organized, even elegant, specialized channel on YouTube which already has in place the means to monetize as well as being available to an enormous international access. 

• Members
  • Members

Generally speaking, I think YouTube is probably the best option for this sort of thing - just like Bold is doing. Anything they can make from monetizing is more than the episodes make now. That being said, if the library isn't digitized, the cost of that could potentially never be made back (and probably wouldn't).