ARTICLE: R.I.P. Jacklyn Zeman – Actress Best Known for Her Role as Bobbie Spencer on ‘General Hospital’ Dies at 70

• Webmaster
Jacklyn Zeman, Bobbie Spencer, Nurse Barbara Jean Spencer, General Hospital, GH, GH ABC, #GH, #GH60, #GeneralHospital

Jacklyn Zeman, who for over 45 years portrayed the role of Barbara Jean “Bobbie” Spencer on “General Hospital” has died. Executive producer Frank Valentini announced the news late this evening on social media. Zeman was just 70 years old.

Zeman joined the “General Hospital” cast in December 1977 after a relatively short run playing Lana McClain on “One Life to Live.” When she wasn’t playing a nurse in Port Charles, she appeared in Bay City as Sofia Madison on “The Bay.” 

The recipient of five Daytime Emmy Award nominations throughout her career, three of which were for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Daytime Drama Series (1981, 1995 and 1997) for her role as Bobbie Spencer on “General Hospital.” She also received an Outstanding Lead Actress nomination in 1998 for her work on the daytime drama series. She was most recently nominated in the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Daytime Fiction Program category for her role in “The Bay.”

“On behalf of our @GeneralHospital family, I am heartbroken to announce the passing of our beloved @JackieZeman,” said Valentini on Twitter. “Just like her character, the legendary Bobbie Spencer, she was a bright light and true professional that brought so much positive energy with her to work.” He added, “Jackie will be greatly missed, but her positive spirit will always live on with our cast and crew. We send our heartfelt sympathy to her loved ones, friends, and family, especially her daughters Cassidy and Lacey.”

“Jacklyn Zeman has been a beloved member of the ‘General Hospital’ and ABC family since she originated the iconic role of Bobbie Spencer over 45 years ago. She leaves behind a lasting legacy for her Emmy-nominated portrayal of the bad girl turned heroine and will always be remembered for her kind heart and radiant spirit,” read a statement released by the show. “We are devastated by the news of her passing, and send our deepest condolences to Jackie’s family, friends and loved ones.”

A cause of death was not disclosed at press time.

Zeman’s additional TV credits include appearances in such shows as “The New Mike Hammer,” “Sledge Hammer!,” “Chicago Hope” and the digital series “Misguided.”

Zeman is survived by her daughters, Cassidy and Lacey, and her grandchildren, Kennedy and Decker.

Note: The post R.I.P. Jacklyn Zeman – Actress Best Known for Her Role as Bobbie Spencer on ‘General Hospital’ Dies at 70 appeared first on the Soap Opera Network website.

Read More

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What an amazing actress… and one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. May her spirit guide us all… she really was an icon! 

• Members

Saw this on Twitter. I still can't quite believe it. Bobbie may have become marginalized, but JZ still was a link to GH's great past.

Barbara Jean Spencer was a great bad girl gone good...or at least, a gray character.

May Jaclyn Zeman rest in peace.

• Members

How very sad.  I'm not a regular GH viewer, but JZ is a household name.  And at just 70

Please register in order to view this content

Condolences to Jackie's family, and her GH family.

Edited by Jeff

• Members

I’ve got to met her in 2018 at the GH convention in Burbank.

i told her that I want to name my future daughter Barbara Jean. She was touched. I told her that I was upset that she didn’t got any new material and she said that she was upset about it too.

she was so kind and nice. Her character meant the world to me. I can’t believe it. The soap opera community is losing so many icons and household names in the last few years