Families (1990-1993)

DRW50

• Members

I have the posts printed off somewhere. I have re-read it within the last year or so. I convinced a friend of mine to watch season one of "Springhill" since we were on a quirky supernatural shows binge (we had just finished "In the Flesh"). I think I had the "Revelations" posts with the "Springhill" posts because I cannot find either at the moment. 

The conversation did remind me about the origin of the Charlie is a prostitute comment. I remembered I had copied the episode synopses that were once posted on the BFI site and attached to each episode. For some reason, the BFI revamped their site and dropped the synopses. I'll clean everything up when I get a chance (I'm currently working on "Families" synopses because in the search for "Revelations" posts I found about 100 or so episode summaries that use to be on TV.com for "Families" from late 1991 until the final weeks of the show). For now, from "Revelations" season 2, episode 7:

Drama about the Rattigan family. Lenny prepares for Ben's first birthday party. Instead of going to the party, Jessica visits Edward at his retreat to ask him about his future plans. Charlie provides a sympathetic ear for Daniel, and ends up telling him about her decent into drink, drugs and prostitution. She leaves, regretting having revealed so much. Jessica returns and is getting ready for the party when Steve enters her room. 

By the way, Daniel is Mark Tyler's younger brother. I think you are thinking of Jimmy, Mark's best pal and the groundskeeper for the Rattigans, who carries on the affair with Lenni. 

Based on some of the episode synopses, there seems to be a suggestion that Mary Beckett, the family housekeeper and a distant relative (at one time at least), has a latent lesbian attraction. This didn't surprise me as I knew about Joan Travis, the lesbian vicar who replaces Edward, but what I didn't know was that there seems to be a suggestion that Mary's feelings are actually for Jessica, while Joan is definitely attracted to Mary. Do you recall picking up on this, or am I just reading too much into the summaries?

Regarding Sue, Mike, and Diana on "Families," it's all very slow. I don't think Mike returns to England until September, but most of the drama is people going to Australia to find him and convince him to come home and leaving empty handed. I feel like things pick up a little bit in August, 1990, by the time Corinne Todd (Tessa Humphries) accuses Anton Vaughan of doing something unseemly towards her sexually with the nuptials of Amanda and Neil in September, which I'm not even sure actually happened, seem to move the show forward. It takes some time, but I do feel like it builds. 

"Sons and Daughters" told more story in a week than I think "Families" told in a year. I think there would have to be a happy middle ground lol. 

It is a shame especially since Russell T. Davies' new work still continues to rate well from what I understand. I wish Network would consider a release of the remaining "Revelations" episodes and possibly "Families." The trajectory of "Families" would be worth seeing. Someone may have recorded "Springhill" season 2 off the Acorn site when it was up. "Springhill" got the stateside release to coincide with the American "Shameless," I believe. "Families" is floating around in trading circles, but I haven't been able to find anyone willing to sell it just they have it in there possession. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ah, that makes more sense! I'm really intrigued by the Charlie stuff now too given I just don't remember it. It does fit the character.

I don't recall the Mary/Jessica thing but perhaps I was just young and naive! My hazy memory is that Joan and Mary were attracted to each other... 

I saw sad news that Network had wrapped up operations this past week quite suddenly. It really was the only source for some of these obscure older shows so it's such a shame. Given Families was only rerun in the late 90s, I'm surprised so little exists of it online too.