American Gigolo

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

American Gigolo

Follows Julian Kaye after his wrongful conviction release following 15 years in prison as he struggles to find his footing in the modern-day Los Angeles sex industry and navigates his complicated relationships.

STUDIO: Paramount Television Studios

GENRE: Crime,Drama,Mystery,Romance,Thriller

STARRING: Jon Bernthal, Gretchen Mol, Gabriel LaBelle, Lizzie Brocheré, Leland Orser

Edited by Noel

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Its got some bad reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but outside that, the reviews look good. I love Jon Bernthal and crime/thriller series. I like the retro 80's feel to it as Rosie O'Donnell fits retro to the T. I'm going to rewatch it again as I'm curious about the character's upbringing. 

ETA: I just uploaded screenshots. Before, I was having issues with it. 

Edited by Noel

• Members

I enjoy Bernthal, I like Schrader's work and the original film and it's an interesting idea for a kind of movie update (and I do think he works in the role in a very different way), but a sequel TV series? I can't imagine a good reason for that. I'm happy Cheryl Dunye and Gregg Araki are getting high profile work to direct for it, but that's where my interest ends.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I kind of felt the same way for A League of Their Own on Prime Video, but then all of a sudden, it grew on me and I enjoy the cast and characters on that series. I guess I need to download the American Gigolo movie and kind of do a contrast/comparison type of thing. 

American Gigolo: S01E02 

Edited by Noel

• Members

Did you? Or, was your post supposed to be on the Paramount+/Showtime deal. To me, it's a good deal. 

I tried to watch the original American Gigolo to the best of my ability to the point where it was a true test of my sanity and stability. I could barely understand what Laurent Hutton was saying, and Richard Gere's performance seemed somewhat lackluster. So, in the movie, who was the actual killer? His pimp? 

Edited by Noel