Days of Our Lives: March 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, I honestly don't think it's a personal attack.  Just more of the way Ron views the characters.  To be fair, though, Julie/Maggie have not been considered viable for a long, long time (except for that weird period when DH was fired and Maggie was the thing).  They have been by and large supporting for years.   Marlena and Kate have always gotten much more favorable, modern writing.   I never really understood the Kate love, but it's obvious why Marlena still gets it.  

• Members

He doesn't know.  Apparently Marlena is keeping Belle sedated until John answers the phone?  Because he has a ton of better things to do?  He and Marlena spend numerous hours without talking?  It's been clear the last few days Marlena hasn't even notified the occupants of the house.  It's one of those plots they should just not mention and pretend things are all happening at the same time, but are going out of their way to explain Marlena is just being really weird.

• Members

Yea, i think its different now. Its not the 80's or 90's were there were over 10 soaps and they were still very popular. We are down to 4, all of which are bare bones of their former self's. They are just happy to be on screen and living they happy lives. 

What happened in 1984? Did she criticize the writing like  Matt Ashford and John Aniston did to JER back in the 1990s?

• Members

They did complain about the writing too.  Even had a meeting with Maggie DePriest.  Bill especially didn't like the way Doug was being written in relation to Hope.  The meeting didn't go well and DePriest said she wouldn't write for them again.  They ad-libbed their last lines in the final 1984 episode.  They discuss it in their book.  And, yes, they learned their lessons about speaking about the writing.

• Members

The '80's were rough for many of DAYS' old guard.  The Hayeses and Jed Allan left, John Clarke and Suzanne Rogers were virtually reduced to recurring characters, Joe Gallison was okay as long as Gloria Loring was still on the show, even poor Macdonald Carey and Frances Reid had to make do with cutesy storylines about tainted doughnuts and writing poetry under assumed names.  Deidre Hall managed to survive, but it seems like the show de-aged Marlena while evolving her into a more action/adventure-type of heroine.

Edited by Khan

• Members

The show definitely de-aged Marlena, but she was a very easy character to transition into the supercouple/action/adventure role because of her pairings with Roman/RoJohn.  She was probably one of the only characters from the 70's that had the ability to evolve that way-hence her popularity.  She also read a lot younger because Marlena had young children.  Mickey/Maggie had adult kids/adopted kids and Mickey/Maggie aren't going to run off the Stockholm to find missing bonds.   The show had an embarrassment of riches as well with Bo/Hope, Marlena/Roman/RoJohn, Steve/Kayla, Kim/Shane etc., so I am sure they weren't worried about Mickey/Maggie, Doug/Julie, Tom/Alice at the time.  I am not sure if that was right for the future of the show long term, but I do think it was the right direction at the time.  It's not like investing in Marlena was a mistake lol.